Sunday, May 14, 2006

Understanding


My mom and I have always been friends. Though I know I had some teenage surliness, I never really had an "I hate my parents" attitude. We always have had fun together. When I still lived in Texas we did lots of stuff together: shopping, dining out, going to the theatre, renting chick-flicks, going for dessert, etc. Even now when we get together we do these things. Maybe it's us both being middle children in families of all girls, our bond. Of course I think my two sisters and I all think we are mom's favorite. She's good that way, never making one of us feel less special than the other. That's a first-class mom in my opinion. But you know, I didn't truly appreciate and understand my mom until I became a mother myself. I didn't realize all the sacrifices she made for us, or the immense love she has for us. I didn't comprehend how much good she wanted for us three girls and our families. I never knew the true love a mom has for her children until I became one myself. Now I get it. It's like a world opened up to me that I didn't understand before. You love your children from the minute they are conceived. And when they are born to this earth you feel like your heart is going to explode with love. No matter how much they back-talk you, or hurt your feelings, or chuck legos at your head, you love them unconditionally. That's what being a mom is all about. Now I get it Mom.
Now I understand.

Happy Mother's Day to all the "moms" in my life - my mother Susie, my sister Debbie, my sister Kimi who is a new stepmother this year, my own stepmother Diane, my sweet Granny, my step-grandmother BJ, my Grandma Broome who is no longer here on earth, Alison my mother-in-law, my sister-in-law Wendy, my Godmother Paula, Aunts and Cousins who are mothers, and all my mom-friends who have shown me what being a good mother is all about...understanding.

No comments: