Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Peas in a row

J hates vegetables. Hates them. When he was a baby he loved them - carrots, peas, sweet potatoes, anything green or orange and mashed up to a puree. He ate it up! We look back at some of his old baby pictures and he has an orange tinted face in a lot of them from the carrots and sweet potatoes. But, sigh, he grew up. He just simply won't eat them. A fleck of a green spice in a dish sends him into a tizzy. It's disconcerting. I only comfort myself with the knowledge that he loves fruit and tomatoes, so I know he's getting some vitamins. Occasionally I do try and sneak in veggies where I can - spinach in spaghetti sauce, peas in mac-n-cheese, etc. Yesterday I tried the pea in noodles sneak. He was so on to me. I put the plate down in front of him, nonchalantly, and walked away. He stared at it. Stared at me. Looked back at the plate. "PEAS?!" he hollered in confusion. As if to say "how dare you taint my beloved orange noodles (organic mind you) with this green concoction, blast you woman!" I picked a few out, but this did not satisfy him. He proceeded to pick out every single pea and line them up on a napkin on the table. No, actually, at first he started picking them up and throwing them. But I put the napkin down and informed him it was for the peas. He obliged, putting them all neatly in a row on the napkin. Hey, at least the kid's got manners!

No comments: