Friday, September 01, 2006

Honesty

As I've said before, some days are just hard. I'm pretty sure yesterday equates to my most difficult day yet with my two year old.

Background - Jackson has a newfound fear of bees. And for 3 nights in a row he has woken up crying that bees are in his room. I finally "expelled" the bees with some Fabreeze a few nights ago. I also explained to him that bees are our friends, they make honey and our flowers grow, and they don't hurt us if we don't hurt them. Oh, and that they are just like butterflies and ladybugs which he doesn't seem to mind. So by night 3 I think the bees are gone. However, the effects of 3 nights of lost sleep are not gone.

By yesterday he was a total wreck. Beyond sleep deprived. Cranky. Bleary eyed. An all around unpleasant child. At playgroup he threw fit after fit, complete with hitting, scratching (those are some long nails!), and even biting. Me that is, not the other kids. He was mad about so many things I can't even list them. He was just mad! And believe me, so was his mother. Finally, after just 30 minutes at the park with my friends and their kiddos, we packed it up and went home. I had to sit in the car with the music turned up just to try and regain my sense of composure before I could drive. I can't believe a 2 year old can beat me up like that! I kept thinking "where have we gone wrong with him???!!"

He was asleep within minutes of being home -- and it was 2 hours before his usually nap time! When he awoke he became my adorable and charming son. We had a great afternoon playing and reading and even watching his new movie Lisa sent him. BUT by the time Daddy got home he was overtired again, cranky, screaming, etc. I told Shawn "yep, this was my morning!" It was a nightmare. Honestly, I just didn't want to be around my son any longer. We were not enjoying his company, and he sure as heck wasn't enjoying ours. I put him to bed at 7:30. He had a couple wake-ups during the night (as did his brother, bopping around in my womb like it was a fun house), but slept until 7:30 this morning. Thankfully.

Today, my son is a dream child. Thank you God! He was a perfect angel even at the grocery store. He went down for his nap without a scene. He was sweet, charming and loving, and restored my faith that maybe we aren't doing something wrong. Maybe he just had a bad day. I certainly did. But today is a new day, and he's my sweetie pie again. I'll take it when I can get it.

Oh, and I cut his nails.

No comments: