Thursday, February 22, 2007

An Apology to Kimi

Kimi is my little sister. Little. Ha! She's 30 years old, married for almost 2 years, has a 14 year old step-daughter, and is a very accomplished teacher. She's also currently getting her Masters and studying to pass the exam that will enable her to teach special education next year. She also is raising a very handsome houndog named Bubba. I admire her greatly. (Mind you, I greatly admire both my sisters, but this is about Kimi...) So my "little" sister called me yesterday to check in. It has been a long time since we chatted, and I was so glad she called. But I owe her an apology. She must think I live in a crazy house. Just as she phoned I was putting Holden down for a nap because he was c-r-a-n-k-y beyond compare. He was crying but I left him to sort of fuss through it. Jackson had just woken up from his nap and was also c-r-a-n-k-y beyond compare. He was whining about something indecipherable. I also was trying to make dinner - Rachel Ray's Homemade Mac-n-Cheese (which rocks, by the way). All this was going on just when Kimi called. But I really wanted to talk to her so I thought "oh, it will all calm down in a few moments, this is just the 'witching hour' of our day." So I answered the phone and we started chatting. Holden settled into his nap, thankfully, and Jackson was appeased with the "Chicka Chicka Boom Boom!" movie upstairs. My noodles were happily boiling. We got about 4 minutes into the conversation when I realized I put too much milk into my bechamel sauce. Shit! I said out loud into the phone. Oh, woops, I'm sorry. That isn't the most polite thing to say on the phone. Kimi forgave me. I then began to complain to her about the stupid oxygen vendor that came to pick up the generator that morning, unannounced. I had to run across the street from the park to let him into the house. I actually left Jackson playing at the park with some wonderful ladies who I vaguely know from the neighborhood. They offered to keep an eye on him while I ran back with the baby in my arms. Anyway, I complained to Kimi about that. I complained about the lack of sleep we are currently experiencing. I complained about the dirty snow. I complained about.... well, everything. In exchange my sister told me the crickets she feeds her frog escaped and she was afraid to sleep because they were in her house somewhere! I needed that laugh. Then suddenly I heard Jackson screaming upstairs and I ran by leaps and bounds to his room. Upon seeing me he burst into tears. I basically yelled to Kimi I'd have to call her back, threw the phone down and scooped Jackson into my arms. Turns out he was just feeling lonely and needed his mommy. Then Holden woke up. Then both kids were crying. Then Shawn called to tell me he was on his way home. Then the Mac-N-Cheese sauce burned. Nice. And all the while I'm sure my little sister was staring at her phone thinking how out of control her big sister's household is!

I promise Kimi, my life isn't as insane and crazy and out of control as it sounds. I promise! Well, maybe just a little.

No comments: