Thursday, March 15, 2007

I love that song

This morning, shortly after I put Holden down for his nap, I caught Jackson standing outside the nursery door. The gentle music from the little Fish Aquarium crib toy came quietly floating out of Holden's room. The same toy that Jackson used to listen to when he was a baby in that very same crib - not so long ago really. As I noticed Jackson standing by the closed door, I thought he was going to bound in there, waking up his brother with a mountain of enthusiasm. As he has done one too many times before. But he just stood there quietly, his ear sort of cocked towards the door, motionless.

"Buddy, what are you doing?" I asked.

He looked up at me, sort of startled out of his trance. A wondrous grin spread across his face. "I love that song Mommy!" he responded.

And I melted. His little brain had registered a memory from his own babyhood, and recognized that song as something special. Special indeed. Because I love that song, too, little man. Purely because it reminds me of you.

No comments: