Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Anybody out there??

Recently I've received several emails or message board posts from friends and family who read my blog. I guess I'm always a little surprised and a little flattered when anyone takes the time to read about my sweet (or not so sweet- depends on the day) boys, and our hectic life together. I love getting these emails or posts because it's fun to compare and chat about our common connections. I really love it when I have an unexpected comment on my blog - it keeps the conversation going, and proves once and for all that I am in fact quite popular (this is a joke because if you look at the number of comments you will see there aren't many). ha ha. In fact this morning Shawn says to me "there's a comment on your blog." Huh? Really, cool! I ran as fast as I could to read what someone wrote to me. Cool. It was a post from another blogger who's blog I recently read and commented on. I guess that's sort of what the whole blogging community is about. Though mostly my blog is for catharsis and putting my cute kids pictures up in an easy format. It was still cool to see someone write to me.

If you are out there, give me a shout. I'd love to hear from whoever might be browsing along. I would also like to put to rest my still-lingering-20-years-later Jr. High School pains of being incredibly shy and unpopular.

-----------------------------------

Oh, and my kids were especially cute last night. Shawn was stuck in traffic due to this icky late April snow we just got. So I was desperately trying to get a fussy baby nursed and off to bed, while my almost 3 year old (who refuses to nap) was having an epic meltdown. Eventually they both ended up in my arms in the rocking chair in Holden's room. How I managed them both is beyond me. Holden nursed. Jackson snuggled. The both passed out before I got to the 2nd verse of "Baby Mine." Awesome. I loved that moment so much I cried. It was one I'll never forget. Both my boys, quiet and sleeping snuggled up in my arms. That is bliss.

Speaking of "Baby Mine..." So I have a college degree in theatre. Yes, a very useful Bachelor of Fine Arts in Acting and Directing. Most people look at me quite puzzled when I tell them this because the natural reaction is "and what did you do with that degree?" My answer -- easy, I became a marketing-manager-turned-stay-at-home-mom, of course! Anyway, I think I was a fairly decent actress in college. I was in some pretty good shows (in my very humble opinion) and won "Best Actress" and "Best Acting Student" two years in a row at the theatre department's annual awards banquet. But I sucked as a singer. Seriously, I was dreadful. I could fake my way as a dancer, but the singing was horrid. I can admit that. As a result, I did very few musicals during my tenure. One to be exact. And believe me, there was no solo or duet for this off-key warbler. Nevertheless, at auditions each fall and spring of my University career I had to audition for each season's shows. That included a monologue (no problem) and a song (big problem). I dreaded that part of auditions. Probably the casting folks did, too. I remember distinctly my first college audition singing "Baby Mine" from Dumbo. I also remember, very clearly, all my friends making fun of me for choosing this song. And for my performance in general because, like I said, I can't carry a tune. But I was determined. I sang it with all my heart because I think it is a beautiful song... and I totally sucked. And a few of my friends reminded me of this sucking for years to come. It was that bad. But I loved that song and still do. When my first son was born I sang it to him all the time. It is sweet and gentle and even off-key, he didn't care. The Better Middler version of "Baby Mine" is on his nightly CD. He's listened to that CD every night since he was 4 months old. Now, 3 years later, anytime I sing any song from that CD he stops whatever he's doing, smiles at me, and sweetly says "that's my song." He doesn't care that I suck. He doesn't care that I can't carry a tune. I'm his mama. And he's my baby mine. And my college friends can bite me. Because the most important judges of my singing are my two boys. And they think my voice is angelic.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi! My name is Diane Trent and I am a friend of your sister, Kim. We taught together for several years in Terrell. We both left the same year to go to other districts. Anyways, she passed on your blog to me almost a year ago. Since then, I have been addicted. I check almost nightly to see what you have written. My husband and I enjoy all you have to say about your family. We are expecting our first boy in August, so we get tickled hearing what we get to look foward to. I especially loved the blankie entry! I so can to Jackson....I too am a blankie girl to this day! I immediatley called my dad and read it to him. He got quite a chuckle out of it and also can relate to you!! Keep up the great and entertaining blogging!

Tales from the Crib said...

Hi Diane!! Cool, thank you for posting. Many congrats to you and your husband on your baby boy. You will be completely bowled over with love, I can tell you that. Little boys are a blast! I'll let Kimi (we call her Kimi - I was shocked to find out a few years ago that none of her friends call here this. She's always been Kimi to me!) know I heard from you. Heck, maybe she'll check in and read it herself. Post anytime, and nice to "meet" you!

Anonymous said...

Oh Amy, I just love you! You, not popular in high school, I don't believe it for a second. I am guilty of reading your blog several times a week and not commenting. I'm sorry but I'd rather read than write, for the most part. You make me laugh out loud on a regular basis and given our 'almost 3 year olds' are hours apart I can relate to most of what you share (and probably lots of what you don't share!). I still think fondly of our Seattle days and always laugh about "walk, walk, walk, fight, fight, fight". That was the night I learned you had an acting background and it all began to make sense to me! Big hugs, Laurie

Tales from the Crib said...

Ah Laurie! No worries, you can read and not write as long as you still email me! ;-)

Big hugs to you and that gorgeous girl of yours. Oh, and have Shawn and I ever told you that every Friday night when we watch "The Soup" on E that we comment that the host looks like Gary?? We are such dorks - we always yell "Gary!" when we see that guy. Do you know who I'm talking about? Well, anyway, how lame are Shawn and I watching E every Friday night?? ha ha. xoxox

Kim said...

Hi Amy! It's me Kim, your Seattle buddy. I check out your blog almost every day! Sorry I've been so bad about e-mailing. You know how it is with a little one. But at least by reading your blog I get to keep up on you and your munchkins! It's grey and yucky here. typical Seattle weather!

Miss you!

Tales from the Crib said...

Kim! So glad to see you. How are you and that baby girl doing?? Lots of pink filling up your house? Hugs to Mr. Will, and belly pats to you!!

Kim said...

We're getting a few things. Of course my mom couldn't resist! Will still thinks the baby is in his baby, LOL!

Luca Anthony said...

Amy, you know I love your blog!! I read it at least weekly and love your writing. You were my inspiration to start my own! Though I stick to mostly pictures... :)

I know what you mean about comments... I too want to remind people there IS a comment option! LOL :)

Julie

Tales from the Crib said...

Hi Julie! I'd lost your blog's address, so I was glad to see you post. Luca's such a cutie pie. So sorry he's been so sick :-( I just saw your growth pictures and that is such a cute idea! (and I posted you a comment!) Glad you're blogging along with me!

zjoeynosmom said...

Hi Amy - I'm here!!! I read your blog weekly - I swear:) I had tried to comment once before & it errored out on me. I try to comment, but I have a hard enough time being on the MSN boards:)!! Anyway, I'm Amanda - mom to Zach, Joey & my PAL baby Olivia. I have my own blog that I share with my sisters. I'll try to comment more often on your beautiful writing & beautiful family!

Tales from the Crib said...

Amanda! I don't think I've ever seen pictures of your kids. They are beautiful!! I love the idea of having a blog you share with your family like you do. That's awesome. Thanks for posting and for reading!

Lana said...

Hi. I stumbled on your blog tonight, reading the post about the canvas pictures. Then I just had to keep on reading all your posts from the beginning. It's been almost 3 hours now. I have 2 boys too, one is turning 3 and one is 16 months. They're 20 months apart and I see many truths in your experiences that are similar to mine. Besides, you're such a great writer and I love your writing. I'm sure your boys would really love the memoir that you're gonna print into a book for them someday. I wish I did the same thing, but it's just not possible. Both my husband and I are just too busy with work and school, we hardly have any time to spend with each other and our kids. No time for writing for me, plus my writing sucks! Anyhow, I just want to say hi and let you know that you have a lovely blog and are doing a wonderful thing for your boys. Take care.