Monday, April 23, 2007

Family project

Whew. That is all I can say. whew. Recently Shawn and I discovered new-found respect for teachers. Not that we didn't already have the utmost respect for educators since all of our children's grandparents, two aunts, and an uncle, are teachers. But we have now offically up'd our respect level. We attempted a family project the other day. I can't really go into too much detail about the project itself, as the project included gifts that might be received by individuals who read our blog. But let me just say that it involved two trips to Home Depot and a trip to the craft store. Both boys were less than willing to participate at first. That was the first step of frustration. Finally I just put Holden (aka Mr. Fussy!) down for a nap since he's really a little too small to even get what was going on. But Jackson loves crafts, so I coaxed him until he wanted to participate. Then he wanted to participate too much. Shawn and I were all over the place trying to keep him from spilling, wrecking, stepping on, smooshing, and over-decorating the project. This was one child! I kept saying to Shawn I couldn't imagine trying to do an art project with an entire classroom of students. And when Holden did wake up to join us, it added a new level of complexity because, well, let's face it, he's 6 months old. Glitter beads are not high on his list of fun. But finally, 2-1/2 hours into the "simple family project," we were done. And the outcome was adorable. But the rest of the day Shawn and I walked around in a total daze. That two hours put us over the edge. I'm not even sure the boys got anything out of it. But I will say this. When it was all said and done, Shawn asked me "is this what your every day is like?" "Yep," I replied, "that about sums it up!" I'm pretty sure he has new found respect for my job as well.

No comments: