Friday, June 22, 2007

Friday Evening, 5:56 PM

It's just shy of 6:00 PM on Friday evening here in blustery Colorado. Both my boys are asleep. Yes, asleep. For the night. Dave Matthews Band is playing on the new iPod Shawn bought me. Grilled chicken and roasted veggie pizza is cooking in the oven. A cool breeze just kissed my face. Ahhh...life is sweet.

The boys and I had a busy day. Jackson awoke before 6AM and Holden was up not long after. The days begin early in our house - always have. Fortunately my dear husband gets up with the earliest riser and lets me sleep a bit. This is because Holden is still waking to nurse 1-2 times a night. I love my husband. So we hit the library today. And Walgreens. Lunch from Sonic. NO AFTERNOON NAPS from either child. This is a rarity for Holden, but sadly the norm for Jackson. So I schlepped both boys to the pool for the afternoon. I wanted to wear them out and I guess I did. It was a great time to go - there were very few people there in the late afternoon sun. It was perfect. Then home again to dry off, throw on "Madagascar" and let me get dinner going. I glance over and Jackson is passed out asleep on the couch. It's 5:30 PM. I know that this means bedtime for him, not a nap. I carry his tanned body to bed and tuck him in. He lies in a position that he used to sleep in as a baby on occasion -- hands tucked behind his head as if laying out in the sun. His innocence and sweetness takes my breath away as I kiss him goodnight. He smells like sunscreen, chlorine and grapes. I nurse a very sleep Holden who falls into a slumber quickly and without complaint.

Shawn just drove up. Hopefully there's a bottle of vino in his car to enjoy with our homemade pizza. And the quiet. I think it goes without saying that I adore my boys. But I also adore this silence that fills my house right now. On a Friday night and 5:56PM with both boys sawing logs.

No comments: