Thursday, August 09, 2007

GIGANTIC J

Yesterday I took the boys on a big adventure...to JoAnn's Fabrics and Crafts. Woopee, I know! But I wanted to get some fun art supplies for Jackson. He has crayons, markers and cheapie paints, but I wanted something a little more "artistic." You see, the day before we had gone with our playgroup to the Sir Bouncealots Bounce house. You can pay an extra $3 and your child can make any craft they want. He picked out and painted a darling wooden helicopter. He's never really been into crafts that much, but he loved painting that helicopter. He was so proud of it. So I figured if he had really cool supplies (like that helicopter) he might be more into it.

So off we went to the craft store. We walked around for about an hour (yes, an hour with both kids in an enclosed space and nobody left screaming!) looking at various crafts and supplies. We finally settled on a container of paints (really cool artistic kind that you have to pour onto a pallet), a thick pad of painting paper, 5 mini-birdhouses...and then, we hit the letters. I thought it would be fun for him to paint his initials and hang them in his room. They had a variety of sizes. I pointed to a mid-sized stack of letters. He wanted the letter "W." I had to explain that the "W" didn't stand for his name and he needed to get a "J" or an "S." He didn't like that much so we argued for a few minutes. Then his eyes got WIDE as saucers. I looked up and he was eyeing GIGANTIC letters, about two feet big. Ah-ha! They were so cute. Immediately I put the enormous, cardboard letter "J" into the cart and Jackson cradled it the rest of the time we were in the store. Then he carried it out and held it all the way home. As soon as we got home he was ready to paint his masterpiece! We spent most of the afternoon painting. It was so much fun.

As for his giant letter J, well, whatya think??:




And a pic of Holden playing with pots and pans while Jack and I painted...

1 comment:

Kim said...

Looks like fun! And wow, Holden is getting big! What a cutie!