Friday, October 12, 2007

I lied (again)

I'm wondering if this is just the beginning of many lies I will tell my children over the years, for the sake of their health and well being, not to mention sanity within the household. After yesterday's veggie-lies, I am now onto lies of the calcium variety.

This evening Jackson asked for some yogurt after his dinner (scrambled eggs with a side of apple slices - don't ask). Sure, yogurt sounds good. Healthy, nutritious, filling. I drift into my brain for a second and quickly recall we have one peach and one strawberry yogurt left. "Pink" and "orange" to Jackson. Knowing he'll choose strawberry, his favorite, I give him a choice so he feels empowered:

"Do you want pink or orange?" I ask.

"Pink!" he cries out excitedly.

Of course I open the fridge only to discover I am mistaken and there are only two peach yogurts sitting on the shelf. Orange.

Now here's where it gets tricky. I can make a point of telling Jackson that I was mistaken, and that we only have orange left. Life is full of disappointments and the sooner he learns that the better. We don't always get what we want. Blah, blah, blah. BUT it is 5:30 on a Friday evening. I know that Shawn has a deadline at work and won't be home before their bedtime. Which means I still have another 2 hours to deal with two already over-tired children by myself. And I haven't eaten dinner myself yet. And I don't feel like putting up with the tears that are to follow if I tell my moody, oft-times temperamental 3-1/2 year old that we don't have any pink yogurt after all. And did I mention if is Friday?

So I lie.

I grab the Peach flavored yogurt from the fridge. With my back to my unsuspecting child, I hastily open my baking drawer, pull out the red food coloring, and squeeze in two drops of red. Stirring quickly, the light orange yogurt suddenly becomes a beautiful shade of pink. I walk the concoction over to my son and nonchalantly place it in front of him.

"Ohhhh, this is piiiink!" he exclaims happily. And enthusiastically he digs in. And eats the entire container. And there are no tears. And no whining. And only smiles. And we are all happy. And nobody got hurt by my lie. And red food dye has saved the day.

3 comments:

Liz said...

LOL I need you over at my house. How do you convince a 3 year old that her pants are actually shorts?

Anonymous said...

You are so creative...I will have to remember all these great ideas for when Hayden gets older!
Diane

Tales from the Crib said...

Liz -- you tell her they are "winter shorts." Ha ha ha! Well, it's worth a shot!

Diane - you will come up with your own sneaky tactics. It's mama-surrival-of-the-fittest!