Thursday, October 25, 2007

One

Holden. You are one. I can’t believe how fast a year has gone by. You have brought such joy and love to our lives and to our family, and yet in so many ways it feels as if you were always here with us and a part of us. A year ago today I awoke and told Shawn I was going to have a baby that day, I could feel it. I was right. I just had no idea how crazy and frightening that birth experience was going to be! I also had no idea my heart could open up to so much more love so very quickly. Holden, I remember very little about your birth. I was not awake for you delivery. I missed your first breath on this earth. Your eyes seeing the world for the first time. I missed your first bath. Your first cries. I remember only vague moments of your first 24 hours, honestly. They come at me in fragments, even a year later. But I do distinctly remember your Daddy bringing you to me the first time, placing you in my arms, and you snuggling up for your first meal. I do remember that first moment I fell madly in love with you. And from then on, I have not missed a single moment since.

At one year of age you are a blossoming toddler. You are blowing a kiss good-bye to infancy and charging head first into toddler-hood. You have a wondrous zest for life and for our family. You love your Mama. You adore your Daddy. You worship your big brother Jackson. You know how to get your way by giving a commanding bark. You know how to pull my heartstrings simply by reaching your arms to me. You know how to melt your Daddy just by leaping into him at day’s end. You say Dadda often. You say Mama on occasion. You can sign “all done!” when your meal is over. You steal your brother’s toys and know that it riles him up. You love to hang out by the shower when I’m taking one so that the water sprinkles onto your face. You love the bottom bathroom drawer and all its many treasures. You walk the floor with your walker like the King of Siam. You do not dare try it solo though. You jam to anything musical and fancy yourself quite the drummer. You love Puffins cereal, strawberries, and vanilla, organic yogurt. You are learning, slowly, to at least tolerate cow’s milk. You just about sleep through the night. You love to snuggle with your barnyard quilt that Grammy made you. You favor my arms to most anything else…and that’s how I prefer it. You. Are. One.

Happy first birthday my sweet guy. Thank you for choosing us to be your family. We are blessed by your presence and can’t wait to see what the next year brings! Rock on little man, rock on!




...and you, one year ago...

1 comment:

Christina said...

Amy,

I can't believe your little boy is one! I remember it like yesterday your bith story.

Have a great day and Happy Birthday Holden!!