Monday, January 21, 2008

My little pink yoga mat.

This is a picture of my new yoga mat. I love it. It's pink and cute and doesn't smell like somebody else's feet! I got it because last month I joined a gym. Yes. Me. In a gym. I used to love working out but lost my zest for it about 8 years ago when I met the love of my life and decided it is way more fun hanging out with him every spare minute than going to some stinky gym. That is, until I had children and lost every ounce of anything that resembled a youthful body. One "normal" delivery and one c-section delivery later, not to mention a combined total of 23 months of nursing, and I'm not so pretty to look at (though my very sweet husband tells me I am). But more than that I have realized in the last few months that I need some time to myself to feel human after 24 hour days with the boys. They need some space and I need some space. So a gym seemed to help all of us with our needs.

I joined an awesome gym that sold itself to me just by it's changing room alone. It has a whirlpool sauna and a eucalyptus steam room!! And fresh flowers. And it's clean! And the towels are soft and fluffy. And it is very quiet. I repeat - it is very quiet. Ahhhh.... Then there is the gym itself. Immaculate. State of the art. Perfect. It has an incredible class schedule that would allow me to take yoga 3 times a day every day of the week if I wanted to! And finally there is the kid's club. It too is immaculate. It is also cheery and fun and filled with great toys and crafts and movies and all things child-related. Jackson LOVES kid's club. Notice I said Jackson. Holden, well, not so much. Therein lies the crux. Saying that he hates it is an understatement. He cries every time I drop him off. He's been spoiled by being with his mama 24/7 for the last 15 months (nothi'n wrong with that though!). So I leave him crying and Jackson smiling. The staff often have to come and get me because he cries so hard that he almost makes himself sick. My poor baby! That is very hard for both of us. But I know he'll get used to it eventually so we just keep trying. I'm obviously not taking yoga 3 times a day, 7 days a week at this rate. But I'm managing some cardio. Some weight training. And Shawn lets me escape to a couple of yoga or pilates classes each week when he's home with the kids. At least until Holden gets used to it a little better. But all in all this is the best thing I have done for myself in a long time. I actually look forward to working out again. I haven't felt that way since probably college. Now if only I had that petite little college figure back again I'd be all set. All in good time...right?!?

1 comment:

Katie said...

Ohhhhh! I so miss yoga! Maybe if I get a new job this fall I can start back up! And I LOVE the pink mat!