Sunday, April 20, 2008

Bring on the Straightjacket

Dearest Hubby,
How do I love thee? Let me count the ways...

So Shawn's been gone since Thursday morning, driving father in law to Buffalo (they arrived there safely yesterday - hooray!). I've hung in there with the boys. I've done my best. The tantrums seem a bit louder and a bit longer. The bedtime seems more tedious than usual. Meals are bland and usually involve vast quantities of cheese and past. As I said, I've done my best . But I'm done. D.O.N.E. Done. I know I'm with these two (darling) boys every day all day long but I so look forward to a little reprieve in the evenings when Shawn gets home. And weekends are so our time to be a family...and again, for me to get a little reprieve. I'm on day four. He gets home Wednesday. Deep breaths.

I cracked yesterday -- called my mom and begged her to come up a day early. I was on my last straw with my almost four year old and my 18 month old is getting a cold so he's been waking at night the past few nights. I was close to tears when I rang Mom, I admit it. She was due to arrive tomorrow and be with us for two weeks. But she very kindly agreed to coming up today, a day early. I really need it. She won't arrive until late this evening but I'll shouting from the roof tops when she arrives!

I don't know how single moms (or dads) do it. Or moms whose hubbies travel a lot (I have a few friends who's hubbies travel and those amazing women are my heroes after this week). Especially those who have young children who are with them all day and all night. God love 'em. It's not a job I want to take on by myself. That's for certain.

How can two children, both under 4 feet tall and under 4 years of age, drive me this nutso? I dunno, but they've done it. I can hardly wait until Mom drives up my driveway this evening. And if this little adventure has taught me anything it is to appreciate my hubby even more than hopefully I already do. There are already too many ways for me to count how much I love my hubby. But now I can add a few more to the list.

4 comments:

Amy said...

I only know you through your blog, but after reading this I wish we were neighbors so I could watch the boys and give you a break. Hang in there!

Buffalo Dad (sung like Buffalo Bob) said...

Hi honey! Hubby aka Daddy aka Word aka Shawn here. It's Monday...I'll be home in two short days! I miss you all. Thank you for being such a wonderful and patient mother to our sweet and sometimes...er, oftentimes...challenging boys. :) And thank your mom for coming up early! I love you. Me

Katie said...

I so understand where you're coming from! As a working mom, I respect you tons as I know I couldn't stay home with my boys, I just don't have the patience for it, I admit it. I love my weekends with them, but Saturday I would've loved for them both to have had more than their 1 hour naps. We're heading to Delaware this week with both boys and I'm betting that I'll need a vacation from my vacation! Hope you have a great visit with your mom Amy!

PS - miss ya on PAL!

Tales from the Crib said...

Amy - -my next door neighbor (hi Lisa!) told me today that now after reading your comment she feels bad for not taking my boys when I needed a break, lol. (you should feel bad Lisa, you only have a 5 year old and a baby to take care of, sheesh, couldn't you add my two boys so I could have had a bubble bath or something?!??!) Anyway, thanks Amy, that was sweet!

Honey - - you are the best hubby in the world, and I'm just so glad you are home now. Now I can abandon you next week for my girls' weekend ;-) xoxox

Katie - I KNOW you know what I'm feeling!! Miss you guys, too!