Friday, May 30, 2008

Jackson and the Chocolate Factory

Welp, as of now, I've only got one kiddo in my keep for the weekend. Jackson has just been loaded up into Nana's car and is off to spend the weekend with her in Canon City. He is very, very, very excited. He's talked nothing of it all day long. He informed every single person at playgroup today that he was going to Nana's today. When we got home I didn't even attempt to make him have a nap or a quiet time. I knew he was far to excited to be "quiet" much less nap.

So after Holden went down to sleep, Jackson and I snuggled on the couch and watched a movie while we waited for Nana to arrive. We never get to do that just the two of us and it was a real treat. I let him flip through all our movies and pick what he wanted to watch. What did he choose? "Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory!" (the original) This movie is my all time favorite movie ever and I was super excited he wanted to watch it. He's seen bits of it before, mostly the scenes with songs and chocolate, but he's never watched the whole thing through. I was worried that it would be too "grown up" for him since it isn't a cartoon and has some parts that are somewhat frightening. But now that he's four, I think he is ok to take in a little more in depth film. And he wanted to watch it from the beginning. He did not want me to fast forward (or "fast play" as he calls it) to the candy scenes. So we snuggled down to watch the movie, from the very beginning, and share a bowl of cherries.

At one point I told him that it was my favorite movie of all time. To which he replied "It is my favorite movie of all time, too!" Then he rested his head on my shoulder and scooched in closer to me. I think my heart melted.

When you picture yourself as a parent there are definitely certain scenarios with your children you imagine in your head -- first steps, going to the zoo, eating ice cream, first bike, etc. I have always loved the idea of watching movies with my kiddos. And not just cartoon movies, but movies we can all get into and enjoy. We have just reached this stage with Jackson, and even Holden to some extent. We like watching "Cars" and "Toy Story" as a family. But "Willie Wonka" brings it to a whole new level of family-movie-watching. It was a perfect afternoon of movie viewing with just me and my boy.

And now I'm hearing my youngest wake up from his afternoon nap. He's babbling to himself and asking for me. He'll certainly be curious as to where his big brother is. Probably quite confused actually. But we'll have a great time together. I'm off to get some snuggles from him now.

Happy weekend!

No comments: