Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Are You My Mother?

Holden currently adores this book. We hit this phase with Jackson around two years of age. Something about this book draws them in. I love reading this book to my boys. I make up funny voices for all the characters and the boys giggle when I read it. Shawn also makes up voices when he reads it -- our characterizations are very different. Variety is the spice of life. It is awesome that Holden is now old enough to have the attention span to listen through a book this long. When I get to the last page...

"Do you know who I am?" she said to her baby bird.

"Yes, I know who you are, " said the baby bird.
"You are not a kitten.
"You are not a hen.
"You are not a dog.
"You are not a cow.
"You are not a boat,
or a plane, or a Snort!"
You are a bird, and you are my mother."

I can see my baby's eyes following along (not knowing what the letters mean of course), but when I get to that last line a huge smile breaks out on his face. I physically feel him lean into me further and snuggle closer. His eyes bat closed, just for a moment, in utter contentment and happiness. As do my own.

No comments: