Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Vintage Wednesday

I've decided that I'm going to try and post an "oldie but goody" photo every week. Hopefully on Wednesdays. Who does this appeal to? I dunno, me I suppose! So I went back to the oldest, most vintage photo I could find in my arsenal. This is it. The beautiful lady on the far right is my Grandma Broome, Dad's mother. She passed away about 9 years ago. I still miss the sound of her voice. That accent is hard to trace - her life spanning from Palestine to England to Texas. It was a unique voice that I've very seldom heard replicated. I remember once hearing a woman speaking on NPR about WWII, and it stopped me because it was the closest to my Grandma's accent that I'd ever heard.

Anna Broome was born Anna Greenberg (correct me if I'm wrong Dad!). This photo is of her and her 5 sisters, and her parents, Aaron and Freida Greenberg. Freida was actually from Kiev, Russia, but Dad just emailed me and said he didn't know how she got from Russia to Palestine . The picture was taken in what was then Palestine, what is now Israel. That is where my father was born as well. Grandma was the eldest daughter of the six girls. In looking at her mother I see a great deal of her later in life. It is hard to imagine what life was like then, there in the Middle East, compared to the cushy life I live here in the US of A. Very different, obviously. I wish I knew more of her stories. I wish I'd asked more questions. Learned more while she was still with us. She passed away just before I met Shawn. I think she would have adored him. And my two boys as well. But I'm lucky I have such strong memories of her from when she was alive, and that she was a part of my life for 25 years.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is that Jackson in the middle!!!???

Tales from the Crib said...

Hmmm...yeah, I could definitely see that. The pale blond hair and light skin. Definitely a non-traditional addition to this dark haired, olive skinned Jewish family. Except that little munchkin in the picture is a girl, ha ha. The only other thing I would add is that J is the spitting image of his father at the age of 4, so the similarity to my Grandmother's sister probably ends at the light skin and eyes!