Friday, August 15, 2008

a few more Texas delights

Just work'n through some shots and posting the ones that delight me. I'm bummed -- I kept my camera on "green" most of the trip because I was too preoccupied with the boys to think about aperture and shutter speed. As a result, most of my shots are dark or grainy or both. Bummer. Lesson learned -- trust myself more than the camera. Next time I'll switch it back to manual mode and shoot from the hip (no pun intended...or maybe yes, the pun was intended).

Taking in the Science Spectrum - a true "must do" if you ever find yourself in the vicinity of Lubbock, Texas. This was just the toddler area. It is 3 floors of amazingness for kids infant through, well, adulthood. Debbie and I had just as much fun as the kids I think!


My Dad bought this John Deere ride on tractor toy for my sister and I when we were very young. He fixed it up and painted it and we played on it for years and years and years. Imagine my son's delight when he discovered it, dusty and off its chain (not slang, the chain was truly off the gears) tucked away in Grammy's garage. I imagine it hadn't seen much light in the past few years - my nieces probably aren't big into John Deere, though I may be wrong.
Early in the morning, before the sun got too hot, I filled an old bucket with soapy water and the boys got down to cleaning it up. I got the chain back on and gave it a little WD40 action, and they were off. It was probably the highlight of the trip for both of my John Deere tractor lov'n boys.

This is my dollhouse from when I was a little girl - my Dad built it for me and my mom picked out all the tiny, sweet furnishings. It is in pretty darn good shape considering it is well over 20 years old and I have 3 sweet nieces who like to play with it now and again. I pulled it down and let the boys play with it during our stay. They loved it and had fun alternating playing the Daddy, the Mommy and the baby. I adore this dollhouse, and it makes me happy that my boys actually got some fun out of it as well.

I like the angle of this picture of my nieces. They are such great kids.

Jackson, post photography session meltdown.

1 comment:

jimbroome said...

Those are GREAT pics Amy. We sure enjoyed seeing everyone .
Love, Daddy(OP)