Monday, August 18, 2008

Let's Do This Thing!

A couple of times a year I need a little ass kicking to get myself motivated and back on track. I admit that sometimes I find myself getting lazy as a parent, as a wife, as a friend and as a daughter. I let the house slide. I let the kids watch too much TV. I forget that I have a husband. I don't call my friends or family enough to catch up. I eat too much. Drink too much red wine and/or Diet Coke. Don't exercise enough. My pants get too tight. You know the drill.

I am not sure what it is that snaps me back, but now and again I need it. I think for me, this time, it was being back home in Texas and helping my mom out after her surgery. She healed amazingly well and is probably already doing way too much for herself now that I'm back home again (Mom, sit down and put your feet up!), but she does have Debbie there to whip her into shape, too. In combination with that, when I'm in Texas I eat entirely too much. Entirely. Lubbock is a restaurant mecca for some reason and there are not enough meals in a day to eat all the yumminess it has to offer. And of course, while I was there, my kids were kind of unruly and crazy and over stimulated.

So I'm home again. Settling into life. Gearing up for Jackson's school year (pre-K baby!). Getting ready to watch my baby turn 2 in a few months. Fielding Halloween costume ideas from both boys. That sort of drill. And I'm finding myself needing a butt kicking. And I'm giving it to myself. I'm back at the gym. Putting more into my work outs. Watching my diet a bit more - hello fiber! Planning more activities and crafts and outings for the kids. Reminding myself that I can have time for them, Shawn and myself as well. I'm a stay at home mother and though it isn't a paying job, it is a job. A full time job. And I have to remind myself of that fact. What I do is not a joke or a punchline. It is my career choice, at least for now. And I love, love, love what I do.

So I begin. I've planned our meals for the week. I browsed my "Best Life Diet" book and found some meals that will make us all happy and hopefully work on my waistline as well. I grocery shopped (happily running into Gidget and her crew at the store and catching up briefly with her). I've got nice healthy snacks planned for the kids - popcorn, smoothies, homemade fruit popsicles. I've got a list of things I want to accomplish this week, including making super hero capes for each of the boys. I have a gaggle of birthday gifts to buy, wrap and in most cases ship. I have to get Jackson's school supplies. Return some school clothes I bought him last week that do not fit (bring on the 5Ts!). Paint the futon in the playroom. Call the Grange about maybe doing a kids craft class there sometimes this fall. And a host of other things for them, Shawn and myself. All the little things that make up my day.

So bring on the ass kicking. I'm ready for it and ready to do this thing!

1 comment:

jimbroome said...

Amy, you are so hard on yourself for NO reason. You are a wonderful wife, mother, and daughter! I love you so much.
Love, Dad(OP)