Thursday, August 28, 2008

Obama Babies


VERY big day today...I hope one that my boys will look back on and say "I was a part of that!"

Lisa and I got the wild idea (it was totally Lisa's idea but I was on board from the word go!) to take the kids down to the Democratic National Convention in downtown Denver to check out the action. How often do live in the city where a national political convention is being held, and better yet, it is your political party hosting the event!? If you are a Texas girl like me, well, that never happens. So we put all our worries aside with regards to traveling to the hustle and bustle of downtown with 3 small children (Allie stayed home with her Mimi), and threw caution to the wind. The boys were all three ecstatic to ride the train. Lisa and I were, I think, relieved that there was a train available for us to take rather than trying to drive into the madness of it all.

The train dropped us in the center of all the action. Well, I should say, the center of the action at around 9:30 in the morning. Delegates were noticeable by their badges and campaign gear. Onlookers like us were at the ready with cameras poised. News crews and journalists milled about throughout the downtown area. Guys trying to make a buck sold t-shirts and memorabilia on every corner. Political messages and protests were certainly a part of it all as well. The police presence gave me pause -- pleased that they were there to protect, concerned that they were necessary in the first place. But such are the times we are in. There was definitely an exciting charge in the air, even that early in the morning. I felt giddy just getting to be a part of it all in some small way. And I'm thrilled my boys will have the photographic evidence to show that they were a part of American history in the making.

After taking in the sights, purchasing I heart Obama t-shirts and banners for our "Obama babies!" (as many people called out as we passed), trying to get our picture on MSNBC, and showing the boys the big boat mast that sits behind Union Station, we decided it was time to head out. The streams of people already heading to Invesco field were visible from the train as we sped back to our quiet suburban life.

The boys are now napping and won't likely remember a whole lot about what we experienced today, but as for me, I will be glued to my TV later this evening to watch Obama speak from Invesco field, knowing I was just there myself. You could feel the change in the air this morning, I swear it. The very change that Obama speak of so eloquently. The times, they are a chang'n... indeed.
The train ride downtown, so exciting!





On every corner...
Rock'n the vote
Big Blue Bear peering into the Convention Center





Obama babies!

Hustle and Bustle
Pink ladies for peace
MSNBC




4 comments:

jimbroome said...

Oh I wished I could have been there with you and the boys.
Love,
Daddy(OP)

Tales from the Crib said...

Ah, you would have loved it Dad! As one of only a handful of Democrats in my entire high school, it was pretty dang cool to be around so many people who think the way I do!

Anonymous said...

I have got to make more time to read your blog! You are so cool! Love the first picture of the boys. In case you don't already know this, I freakin' love Obama. Thanks for your messages. We will talk soon!

Tales from the Crib said...

T! We've been friends for 14 years and you've just now figured out how cool I am?!?! sheesh! xox