Monday, September 01, 2008

A Quick Catch Up

It being a long weekend (and Shawn's last "summer schedule every other Friday off") we really tried to fit in as much end of summer as we could. We packed up the kids Saturday and headed to my Mother In Law's house (Nana to the boys). It is so lovely where she lives. It is very quiet and peaceful, with lovely views of the mountains, and we honestly do not get over there often enough to visit. The boys had a great time playing with the various toys Nana has accumulated over the past 3 years since we moved to Colorado. We went on a nature walk, collecting bits and pieces of nature that matched the colors of the rainbow. We even got to witness a real rainbow after a dusting of rain Sunday afternoon. In addition, I didn't have to cook the entire weekend, which was a real treat!

On Sunday I left Shawn and the boys with Nana, and drove my car South to Trinidad where my Godparents, Paula and Larry, live. They retired here in Colorado several years ago, building an amazing cabin high up on the mountain far away from civilization. And by "building" I mean they built it almost completely by themselves, by hand. It is a gorgeous home, filled with their creativity and hard labor. Their youngest daughter (and also a life long friend) Tiffany, who is about a year older than I am, lives with them as well. And Tara, my sister Debbie's age, was visiting for the weekend, so I was lucky to have the entire family there! It was so much fun to be with them in the warm comfort of their home. Tiff has had quite a challenge over the past few years with her health, and I have to say she is an absolute hero to me. She is such a strong and courageous woman, and I learned some major humility just being in her inspirational presence over those few brief hours. They are all such a loving and caring family, and it warmed me to be there. I have known them since birth -- my folks met them just shortly after they were married -- and they are family to me. I can't believe I have lived here three years and just now got up to see them, but I am so glad I did. It was such a wonderful afternoon.

Today we rested and re-energized, and enjoyed a yummy BBQ with the Weik's next door. Summer is definitely coming to a close I noticed. The sun set before 8PM. The crickets were out in full force even before that. The air had a crispness to it that we haven't seen all summer long. Fall is approaching. I even had a dream last night that I was dressed up as a witch for Halloween! Jackson's school starts Wednesday. Shawn's "summer hours" are over. And Holden's birthday isn't too far behind. I suppose it truly is the end of Summer '08. We'll miss her for sure, but I welcome the beauty of a Colorado Fall!

No comments: