Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Advent Calendars



When I was a kid my sisters and I had cute little felt Advent Calendars that I *think* my Godmother made for us. There was a piece of candy tied on for every day of Advent, and then of course on Christmas day, the grand finale candy! I loved pulling those out with the Christmas decorations each year. Mom tied on candy and we counted down the days til Christmas. This year Mom (Grammy) made one for each of my boys. They love them. Every morning, first thing, they beg me to get their treat from their Advent Calendars. They are filled with a variety of treats, each one grander than the next: suckers, pencils, erasers, candy canes, cookies, and the best of all, tiny little tinkling bells. I'm glad to pass along a tradition from my childhood to my own children. Thank you Mom for such a wonderful gift!


3 comments:

Katie said...

Such a great idea! I have two Advent Calendar wall quilts I have cut out and on my sewing table for each of the boys, but with my studies taking up my time till this week, they got pushed aside and I'll finish them up for next year! Plus, then I have all year to shop for the cool stuff to put in them! Great idea Amy!

Joey Veltkamp said...

You just might be the BEST mother ever! FYI.

Anonymous said...

This is an awesome idea, how do you make these calendars? Are the strings tied together or is it just a long piece of string? Please let me know, my email is askforlisa@yahoo.ca