Tuesday, January 13, 2009

What's on our bedside table


We received some fantastic books at Christmas this year. The boys have their favorites, but these four are the sure-fire-bed-time-winners that appeal to both of them, and to Shawn and me as well!


Be Glad Your Nose Is on Your Face: And Other Poems: Some of the Best of Jack Prelutsky
by Jack Prelutsky (Author), Brandon Dorman (Illustrator)

This book is full of silly and nonsensical poems. Dragons, Gloopy Gloppers, and Seattle rain are amongst the favorite topics covered. The illustrations are fantastic, and the words are complex. I like that. Though Jackson can even read some of the more simplified poems. The book is divided by topics, but honestly, we don't get far from the gross stuff very often. I should also mention, Jack Prelutsky wasNamed the first Children’s Poet Laureate by the Poetry Foundation in 2006. Cool.


Dirt on My Shirt
by Jeff Foxworthy and Steve Bjorkman

Yup, a book about dirt. That wins in our house. More funny, silly poems. Not necessarily as "complex" as the previous book of poems, but definitely fun, funny, and funnier. Pete & Pickles by Berkeley Breathed

So apparently there is a love/hate relationship parents have with Berkely Breathed. I didn't realize this until I looked up this book online to steal the image. Berkely is a top notch illustrator, and a deep and moving storyteller. This is such a beautiful book on so many levels. It is gorgeously illustrated, that is a given. The story line is about friendship, tolerance, and understanding. At first I realized it was a bit heavy; but I also realized it opened the door for a deeper discussion with the boys. Holden adores this book, and honestly doesn't need to go beyond how fun the pictures are of these two unlikely friends. Jackson, however, had a lot of questions. I welcomed them. We were able to have a discussion about what death is, what true friends do for one another, and acceptance of all types friendships. I'm sure my youngest will develop these same questions as he gets older, and I'll welcome them, too. I truly love this book, love reading it to the boys, and love to see their reaction to it.


Curious George and the Firefighters
by Anna Grossnickle Hines and H.A. and Margret Rey

Curious George. At a fire station. Need I say more??!



ps -sorry for the "look inside" tags. I stole, er, I mean
borrowed these images from Amazon. :-)

pps - have I mentioned that Jackson is reading?! He
is. It is so awesome to watch him learn. He sounds out words, mostly in his head, and can read quite a bit from his library of books. His love of reading is further nurtured by the wonderful gifts of books he receives from our family, especially Nana, Aunt Kimi & Uncle Bob, and Grammy. Ms. Char even sent him home with a book from school to borrow because he loved reading it so much.

ppps - I know there are weird fonts going on in this post and believe me, it is driving me insane. I can't seem to fix them. I'll wait for my smart, gorgeous, sexy, husband to come home and tell me what I did wrong.

No comments: