Tuesday, March 31, 2009

At my leisure...

As I sit here at my desk, leisurely perusing my favorite blogs and checking out Facebook, my almost fiver year old son is slaving away. I gave him a stack of old bills and my shredder, and he has been happily shredding documents for the past half hour. Not to fret, it is a fool-proof shredder, so no worries of shredded fingers or the like. But the best part of the deal is he keeps exclaiming out loud, to no one in particular, "This is FUN!" I dare not tell him that what he is doing is actual "work." He has an entire years worth of bills to shred. So I'm thinking he should be busy for at least another half hour or so. And in return I get a garbage bag (or 2) of packing shreds, and an hour of peace and quiet (except for the incessant whir and squeal of the shredder).

Is it child abuse to make your son slave over a hot shredder all afternoon? Especially when he thinks it is so much fun??!

4 comments:

Pikette said...

I so do that trick too! Love the child labor!:) Hope the packing is going well. Call me if you need some help???!!!

Tales from the Crib said...

I mean, isn't that why we had children in the first place?! I jest! Packing is going well. We packed a ton before we put it on the market. Looking forward to catching up with you guys SOON!

Debbie said...

My favorite well sad shredding memory is having my poor children slaving over a shredder when Allison got her long blond hair stuck in the shredder. That was the end of the hair. Backing up only made things worse. Hint: Always put your hair in a ponytail when shredding.
It's great when they get old enough to fold the clothes, empty the dishwasher, take out the trash, clean the bathroom. My kids hate Saturdays when there are no plans because my plan is cleaning house.

Tales from the Crib said...

Luckily the boys' hair is kept quite short, so not dangers of hair shredding in our immediate future (I suppose I have no control over what hair might be fashionable when they are older.). Jackson has taken to making his own bed and helps me load and unload the dishwasher, and set the table. I can't wait until they can clean their own bathroom!!! I think I'll tech him how to do his own laundry soon.