Thursday, April 02, 2009

Things I'm Going To Miss

In just 3 short weeks we will be moving from our current house into our new home, our dream home, barely a mile away. We are extremely excited. We will at last have some space to breath. Our current home is just fine how it is. It would serve us just fine if we stayed here through the years as our boys grow every bigger and take up even more of our physical space. But the stars have aligned for us to be able to purchase a home that is larger and more in tune with our lifestyle - which is, in essence, being a family who enjoys hanging out at home, playing, laughing, cooking, eating, visiting with friends, and just "being" in the moment in the home of our dreams. So to speak.


So as the day draws nearer, and as I begin to panic with last minute details -- it seems insane to pack for a one mile move, but alas, it is a necessity -- I begin to reflect on what has made this house a home over the past three years. Here, in image form, are the things I will miss most about this house...

The Park Across the Street: Known for its challenging toddler climbing structure, neighborhood hangout, and mommy-breather when life gets a little hectic. I walk 10 steps (give or take) from my front door to this charming little park. I will miss that ease, and I'm sure the boys will, too.

Decorating this banister at Christmas: It was always my dream to have a lovely, crisp white staircase banister to decorate with garland and twinkly lights at the holidays. Sure, it's a silly dream, but it was mine. Fortunately, the new house has a banister as well, so decorating can commence come December.

Master Bedroom: I never liked the color of these faux-suede walls. This is the color the room was when we bought the house 3 years ago. But I was too lazy to paint them. We painted just about every other room in the house, but this one never made the list. Finally with yellows and creams to brighten the space, and a splash of toille, it is at last a room I love.


Open Space: This trail is just behind our house, and a frequent mini-hike for either the boys and me, or all four of us as a family. We have even flown a kite or two from this hill. I love the wide open view it has for us. The boys love visiting the plethora of "chipmunks" (ground hogs) that make this hill their home. They've even recently brought in horses to graze in a nearby fenced off field. Makes you almost forget you live in the suburbs!

Front Porch: It is cute and quaint and perfect for watching the rain or the sun or the day go by. It is a throw back to a time gone by, and I have always loved it for that trait.


Friends: These people. The Weik's. Oh my gosh, how I am going to miss them. I may cry just typing this out. Yes, they will only be a mile away, but it won't be the same to not have impromptu playdates and wine dates and Friday night meals. Lisa, Tyler, Jackson George and Allie are the best friends and neighbors we could ever have asked for, and our lives changed for the better the day they moved in. (Note: An open invitation is extended to you guys any time, day or night; we love you!)

Garden: Three years in the making, and it is finally "just the way I want it." Sniff, sniff...


Bunnies: Sure, they're pests, but it is always a delight to look out and see one of these little fellows in the yard, nibbling on grass or chasing each other under our deck. They are truly adorable, and that is coming from a non-pet-person. Maybe that's why I like them so much - so little responsibility on my part! And the baby bunnies, oh my, melt my heart!

Home Improvements: We have done a ton of improvements over the years, including adding tile to both upstairs bathrooms, lighting upgrades, this shiny faucet, paint, landscaping, blah blah blah. It is hard to move away from something you have put so much time, money and creativity into. Fortunately the new house is filled with lovely fixtures and updates, so hopefully that part of our home improvement days are behind us.


The boys rooms: They are both really cute rooms, if I do say so myself, and I sort of dread having to do them all over again in the new place. Jackson's is all about modes of transportation, and Holden's is all about being a little buckaroo. That he is.


More of our lovely garden: And of course, I couldn't resist this adorable shot. Yes, that is an electric lawn mower. He drives a Prius too, what can I say.

Baby: This is the place I brought my 2nd baby home to. It holds a special place for that honor. All those late nights/early mornings nursing him and snuggling him. The little sounds that come from him as he slept beside us those first few weeks. Those baby feet and hands and toes. Oh my, watch out, my womb is rumbling...



Come to think of it, I will probably miss this house more than I thought...




3 comments:

Clover said...

I was so happy to move into a bigger house. But I cried and cried as we pulled out of the driveway on our last day at the old house. C'est la vie. Home is home.

Debbie said...

I love my new house but I can't resist driving by the old one, the one I bought and moved into on my 1st aniversary, moved out of on my second anniversary and luckily moved back into 2 years later, the one I brought all of my new babies home to. It even almost made the news a couple of weeks ago when there was a stabbing across the street - Oh how glad I am we are out of there? You may miss so many things but you will learn to love the new one and have a whole new set of memories. Like the house you lived in on that first day of kindergarten and oh my middle school. Can't wait to see the new house. Love ya'll!

Tales from the Crib said...

a stabbing?!?!?!? OK, yes, good thing you moved... Last time we were back in Seattle we drove past our first home and it made me sad that it did not look as cute or as well kept as when we had it. I won't go past it again when we go back for another visit someday...