Friday, April 03, 2009

Treasure Hunt

It's been awhile since I posted any fun kiddo-type activities. Probably because I've been too overwhelmed as of late to DO any fun kiddo-type activities. Once upon a time I had 3-4 big projects a week for the boys to work on --crafts, activities, games. Not because I'm super mom (I'm not by a long shot), but because planned projects make for busy little boys and busy little boys don't get into as much trouble (in theory). But alas, it has been a crazy past few months...

On that note, I introduce a fun little last-minute game I put together for the boys yesterday during rest time. The Treasure Hunt! I made up 10 little cards from regular white paper. On each card I drew a "clue" for the boys to follow around the house. Examples included our purple couch, the boys' bathtub, underneath Jackson's loft bed, etc. The pictures were pretty simply drawn, I am no artist. The final picture was of a chocolate Popsicle. I then wrote a simple letter that Jackson could read, letting them know that the hunt was ON and that a treasure treat would await them at the end. The first clue was also included with this letter. I then hid each picture in sequential order.

When Holden awoke from his nap I yelled out that a letter was waiting for them on the kitchen table. With utter glee they began following the clues. They got each one spot on, nad the excitment built. The final clue was in Holden's crib -- it was a picture of said Popsicle. The boys squealed and ran to the freezer where a congratulatory letter awaited them, as well as a treat for each boy. The boys loved the game, and wanted to make up another one to follow!

We decided to make another one all together for Daddy to follow when he got home from work. I drew the pictures and the boys colored them. We then put the note and the first clue taped to the garage door entry so Shawn would see it first thing when he got home. As soon as he pulled into the garage the boys were ecstatic with excitement. Shawn followed each clue with almost as much enthusiasm as the boys had following him around to each clue. The final clue lead him to his comfy clothes that he likes to put on as soon as he gets home from work. Lots of yelling and cheering followed. It was a great activity for the boys, and a totally fun way to greet Daddy home after a long day at work!


Example of Daddy's clues
(note clues such as toy box, our bed, bean bag, coffee maker, etc)

3 comments:

Beki said...

I'm so impressed with this idea... maybe one day...

Tales from the Crib said...

It's super easy Beki - your boys would love it!

Clover said...

Love this. Love, love, love.

So, Jackson is reading a little? Wow! Yay! We aren't quite there yet. But I think I could do the pictures successfully.