Last week things were getting a little out of hand in the crib tales household. School starting threw a kink into our usual schedule and routine, and the looooooong day for Jackson lead to a few too many meltdowns and broken rules. Rules? WHAT rules??? We've never really defined them, they just sort of grew organically over time (like that melon I found in the back of the fridge from far too many weeks ago...I digress...). So the boys and I sat down and vetted out the rules that make our house tick. Certainly this doesn't cover it all. Certainly some of it is a little, um, odd (re: #9 was Holden's addition thanks to our recent hike). But is helps that now when one of the boys breaks a rule we can ask him to review the list and tell us which rule was broken and issue consequences as a result.
So here goes, the rules of the house, as provided by my children with a great deal of input from yours truly:
- Ask Mom or Dad before using TV, Computer, Wii or Leapfrog
- No hurting each other, or anyone, with words, hands or teeth
- Love each other always. always.
- Use caring words.
- Ask before going outside (no going in front yard at all without Mom or Dad)
- No jumping or standing on Jackson's bed. (it's a loft bed)
- Be responsible: pick up your own things - toys, clothes, books, dishes, etc.
- Help each other.
- Don't pick poison ivy.