Wednesday, October 14, 2009

I am...

In college I had a very beloved professor who shaped me and guided me a great deal in the art of acting and directing. Dr Sorensen wasn't just a "teacher" - he was a mentor, a guidance counselor, a friend. I used to skip my regular classes just to audit some of his acting classes -- never mind that I was already in several of his acting classes, I loved being an actor in his classroom. Because it was never a classroom - it was always the stage.

Today a friend of mine from way back when posted a recent picture of himself and Dr Sorensen on Facebook. He titled it "who are you." Exactly. That was Dr. Sorensen's phrase of choice in acting class - getting to the truth and authenticity of an actor in the moment. "Who are you?" was shouted or whispered or spoken by Dr Sorensen at just the right moment in a scene or a warm up or a rehearsal -- he was reminding us to never just walk through the words, but to live the words, be the character. It was an "actor thing." Or so I thought.

But as I looked at that picture, that whole world flooding back to me with great nostalgia, I realized it is just as timely now that I am not an actor as it was when I was 110% committed to the craft. It was a reminder that I am many things.

I am a mother.
I am a wife.
I am a woman.
I am a friend.
I am a daughter.
I am a sister.
I am a photographer.
I am a homemaker.
I am a soul that craves creativity.
I am honest.
I am a teacher.
I am a learner.
I am me.

I am all these things. And more. I am not longer an actor. But I still am.

No comments: