Thursday, October 08, 2009

Kindergarten

My baby goes to school every day. Well, not weekends. But every day besides that. He gets himself dressed. He brushes his own teeth. He eats breakfast - Cinnamon Life if you please. He takes his Transformers backpack and matching lunch box and snack box and climbs into his big boy car seat and buckles himself in. He smiles a lot. Sometimes he whines. But mostly he smiles. He chatters all the way to school. He smiles at me and at his brother. Sometimes he sings a little bit of a song. He occasionally shares a fear or a worry with me, or asks me things like how I know where I'm going in my car and how I learned to get to places and how will he learn that when he's big enough to drive. Then we pull into the drop off lane at school. It is always a very fast drive. Too fast. He gathers up his stuff. It seems a lot for his little frame. Though he is (crazily enough) the tallest boy in his class. He tells me he doesn't want to be dropped off, that he wants me to walk him up. But then he spots a friend or two also walking into school, and he quickly leaps out of the car. They keep you moving in the drop off lane because it is busy and crowded and everyone has some place to be. Usually I get a good-bye kiss. But not always. Sometimes he's in too much of a hurry to catch up to a friend. But always I get a second glance and a smile and a wave. And his eyes are blue and sparkly. And he loves where he is going to spend the day. And I wave and smile and mouth to him that I love him. And just as I am pulling away, I choke back a tear. Every. Single. Day. It doesn't get easier. And I love him. Love him so very, very much. And I flash back to that little tiny baby placed upon my chest for his first breath of life. And he is five. And it is going by ever so fast.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE this post!!!
-CAR

Laurie Ames said...

In the words of one of my favorite singers, Meatloaf - "you took the words right out of my mouth". This post put my exact feelings each day into writing. Thank you.

Tales from the Crib said...

Laurie you just made me laugh out loud. Meatloaf, awesome. Miss you woman!

ECHeasley said...

Perfect post.