Saturday, October 10, 2009

Story Time


We have a bedtime routine in our house that we very rarely stray from. It has been in place since Jackson was a wee babe. The boys enjoy it, but they do not go to it readily. They would prefer to play a bit longer, stall a bit more, eat just one more snack. It is not fun getting these two boys into their bedtime routine. But once they are in the middle of it, it all falls into place. We start with snuggly jammies -- they are both currently favoring superheros of any and all kind. I had to tell Holden these jams above were from Super-Stripey, superhero of stripes! He didn't buy it. After jammies, we brush teeth. I don't know if there is a little boy alive who likes brushing his teeth, but if you have one who does, please savor that...and DON'T tell me about it. These two hate it. But we do it and they survive. And next up is story time. Their favorite. We almost always read all together as a family, unless one of us, Shawn or I, are not at home for some reason. The boys each pick a book and then we have one more that Shawn or I pick. We love books in our house, and the boys have a plethora of them, whether they are a present from Aunt Kimi or Nana or Grammy, or picked out from the library, or a hand-me-down from mine or Shawn's own youth, we've got a library of books to choose from. And so we snuggle down. Warm under the toast duvet in our master bedroom, and we read. Jackson usually reads one of the books to all of us, sometimes two, and then we alternate reading the rest. It is usually peaceful and calm and sweet, and you would probably catch Shawn and I giving each other a "ahhh, aren't they cute!" look here and there as well. It is a wonderful, quiet time in our day. And I treasure it.

7 comments:

jimbroome said...

Just remember, the boy's great grandfather LOVED to read!fersurns

jimbroome said...

I don't know where that last word(fersurns) came from........

Tales from the Crib said...

I assumed that was some kind of retired-man's lingo...like "for sure woman" shortened to "fersurns!" love ya Dad!

jimbroome said...

I think it was the word verification word!!!!!!!

Beki said...

I love Super Stripey! He's my favorite superhero.
And C&J hate the toothbrushing, too... except when they do it... but that mostly involves drooling and brushing their tongues. =)

Anonymous said...

I just left another blog called "Speaking from the crib" blogspot.com

Cute blog!

Tales from the Crib said...

thanks for stopping by Anon!

Beki - I can't imagine trying to get 2 almost 3 year olds to brush...you are always and forever my hero! xo