Thursday, November 19, 2009

*rant enclosed*

*With apologies, this will be a bit of a rant*

Dear Mom at the indoor pool,
I know, I know, Jodi Picoult is a great writer, and her books are hard to put down. I know having two rambunctious boys can be exhausting (truly, I know this). I know that curling up with a good book and blocking out the world sounds truly wonderful. I know that it is easy to get distracted from real life sometime. I know you are probably tired. But you know what? I'm not your babysitter. I'm at the pool for my own kids, not yours. I'm not there to discipline your two boys. I have two of my own that I'm trying to raise, and they keep me busy enough. It is not my job to keep your boys from ramming into my 3 year old on the baby water slide. It is not my job to tell your kids not to steal toys from kids smaller than they are. It is also not my job to show them my son's initials on said toys to prove they belong to my son and not to them. It is also not the lifeguard's job to tell your boys 4 times (yeah, I counted, sue me) to stay out of the water during safety break. Hey mom with the book - you have two boys, they are your responsibility. You are 6 feet away from them, seriously, you don't see all this going on?? Water can be dangerous. This is not the park where the worst that could happen is a kid gets clocked by an out of control swing. This is the swimming pool. Water? Drowning? Hello? Put down your book. Open your eyes. Watch your boys. Better yet, maybe put on a swimsuit and swim with them - just a thought. It is your job. Not mine. Thank you very much.

Sincerely,
Other-exhausted-mom-who-loves-to-read-Jodi Picoult-books-and-block-out-the-world-but-I-do-it-on-my-own-time-thank-you-very-much

No comments: