Friday, December 18, 2009

These Girls


These are my girls. Gidget, Carissa, Danielle and me. They get me through my week. They are my dear friends. They are my girls! (and how appropriate that this picture was taken at Chuckee Cheese at a birthday party!)

When we moved to Colorado 4.5 years ago from Washington I only knew a small handful of people who lived here, and no one who lived in my new home town. I was a new stay at home mama, having given up my career to stay home with my then one year old son. We lived in an apartment. Shawn was trying to find his way with his new job. I was lonely. I took Jackson to various parks around town just to get out of the house and explore my new (small!) town. One beautiful afternoon when Jackson was about 15 months old I struck up a conversation with a sweet southern mama who had a son, Jack, who was my Jackson's age. Danielle. She quickly invited me to join her playgroup that she and her neighbor Gidget were starting up. Would I like to join? YES! I was craving friendship and adult conversation in a bad way - I'm an extrovert by nature and being home alone with a barely talking toddler, while enjoyable, was also lonely and isolating.

I quickly fell in love with my playgroup mamas and their adorable tots. Eventually Danielle stalked Carissa, another new neighbor in their hood. And thus our playgroup was complete. Well, not really complete, because over the years we've added another two generation of kiddos to our group - 4 adults and 9 kids total. And even though we moved from the apartment to a home a bit further away, and our older kids have started school at varying times and schedules, we have made the commitment to our play group, and more importantly, to our friendships. I don't know how I'd get through my week without them. They are my dearest of friends, and I treasure them and their families. We have gone through so many highs and lows and in betweens in our 4.5 years together. And I see years and years more of friendship amongst ourselves and our kiddos.

But I write this because today Danielle and her family are heading off to a new adventure. Her husband got a great promotion at work that is taking them from chilly Colorado to balmy California. It has always been in the back of our heads that they would be moving eventually -- it is the nature of her husband's career. But seeing her off today was a heart break. I will miss her friendship. Her warm smile. Her beautiful southern drawl that makes me think of home. Her two awesome sons, Jack and Kent, and the friendship we have found with she and her husband Kevin. We will miss them greatly, and I wish them all the best of luck in their new home state. xox


No comments: