Thursday, January 28, 2010

"new" shoes

We should all have a goal of learning something new every day. Thanks to the wonderful world of the blogosphere, I do learn something new just about every day. My girlfriends will tell you that 60% of my conversations start by saying "I read on a blog the other day...". My husband will fill in my sentences (such as he did this morning): "Yes, I know, you learned it from a blog." And he's right. I did and I do. It is an amazing world of knowledge out there. Now I'm not using blogs to self diagnose any diseases or wire my house, that would be crazy. But a little tip here and there has given me shinier wood work, crisply painted trim, oversized dominoes in my basement game room, and a plethora of other wondrous ideas and tips. I {heart} the blogosphere.

Wanna know my latest tip? Shoe stretching with ice! I have a wonderful pair of Danskos that I've owned for about 3 years now. I love them. I love Danskos. They are the most comfortable shoes in the world. And they give me an extra two inches in height which also rocks. I have a brown pair and a black pair (and a 2nd pair of oooooolllllllddddd brown ones that I use when I'm working outside - 'cause you know, I do that so often). Anyway, the black ones, the left foot only, have always been a tad to tight. They are handmade shoes, and leather, so there are slight discrepancies in each and every shoe. And if I were smart I would have returned them when I got them but I thought they would stretch enough. They haven't. So that left foot always aches just a tad if I wear them too long. It is why I usually reach for my brown ones.

Yesterday I had had enough. I Googled "shoe stretching" and found I could buy an expensive shoe stretcher or take them to a cobbler to be stretched. These are 3 year old shoes. They are in great condition, but I'm not going to pay to stretch them at this juncture. I'll have new ones in another year or so I'm sure. But I also found a way to stretch them out with ice! Yes, for reals! Check it out:

And you know what?? It worked! I half filled a ziplock baggie with water, sealed it and put it in the shoe. I then put the shoe in the freezer overnight. Much to my husband's dismay when he opened the freezer this morning to grab some waffles. I let the ice thaw for about half an hour and then dried the shoe out, slipped it on my foot, and ta-da! - it worked! The shoe is stretched just enough for true comfort. $100 shoes saved! Who'd a thunk it?!?!

I {heart} the blogosphere!

No comments: