Sunday, January 10, 2010

The Office: Sans Pam and Michael

I've never been one for new year's resolutions. I probably could use a few, but I just never got into it. I always know I should drop a few pounds, exercise more, spend less money, be more organized, but I don't always adhere to this. Knowing and doing are two separate things. But for the past 2 weeks I have been on a mission for organization. I feel like a woman possessed. Call it a new year's resolution, or just call it "my house is overflowing with junk!" But the room that needs the most organization by far is my office. It becomes the dumping ground for everything in the house that doesn't have a place. It is where I pay bills, check emails, edit photos, keep paperwork, manage Jackson's school stuff, do my crafts, etc. I'm in here a lot. So I made it my goal this weekend to get the room in shape -- and on the cheap. Not easy!

I managed to get the room organized for less than $100. Not too bad. I bought a new paper shredder on sale for $20 (score!). Our last one died because I neglected to use the special lubricant sheets on it. So I shelled out $9 for those. I also converted my files from letter size folders to legal size folders. I spent $16 for 40 folders. They were half off (score #2)! So that got me started. Then I really wanted to work on my built in book shelf. It is really tall and wide and holds just about anything and everything - cameras, cards, photos, tools, sewing machine and supplies, books, magazines, etc. I wanted to corral everything on the shelves in an organized (and cheap) fashion. I hit Michaels looking for my bargain. I was in sticker shock seeing that the cheapest baskets were running $10 and up, and I needed a dozen of them. NO THANK YOU! Then I saw some awesome mesh-like collapsible boxes on sale for $3.40 each. I emptied their stock out buying 11 of them in black and white (score #3)! I was set!

I spent most of Saturday going through paper work and shredding documents - some of which I'm ashamed to say dated back to the purchase of our first home in Washington is 2002! Crazy! I now have 2 large boxes filled with shreds to recycle. After that I was on to sorting, labeling, organizing, and filing. That took up the rest of Saturday and a good portion of Sunday as well. Thank goodness for my amazingly wonderful husband and Batman Wii to keep the boys busy!

And so, of course, I had to photograph the final results of my hard work. Without further ado...

Before: Sorting paperwork, ready to shred, ready to file
After: Tidy!
Book shelves with a place for everything
Cute, cheap bins!

I covered a plain box with pretty paper and labeled it for Jackson's art projects. Need to get one for Holden, but here's a start...

Files - I have 3 drawers of organized folders now, everything from taxes to warranties to bills, to craft supplies - love it!
Homemade tags - cute and cheap!

ps - my title is in reference to the awesome TV show, The Office

8 comments:

Sarah @ Thrifty Decor Chick said...

It looks GREAT!! What a pretty room! Doesn't it feel AMAZING when you walk in?

Tales from the Crib said...

I keep going in just to look at it! Love your blog Sarah, thanks for stopping by!

Megan said...

Oh my! I love you color scheme and I can't get enough of the black and white damask!

Michelle said...

The green walls are gorgeous, especially with that beautiful light from the windows.

Jane said...

What a fabulous space! I love the green walls with the black and white. And, it's sooo organized! Great job!

Jen said...

Love,Love,Love the wall color..escpecially with all that black & white!

Courtney {a thoughtful place} said...

LOVE this! I love the colors. So great. Clean, stylish, and organized. What more could you want!!

Kimberly {YeP, they are all mine} said...

Popping over from CG; good luck with the contest :)