Monday, January 04, 2010

Renew


After the holidays I always get the fever to organize, clean, de-clutter, and rearrange furniture. I actually now have a house that lends itself to rearranging. I don't think I've ever owned a place that would allow for any kind of furniture rearrangement. As a kid I used to rearrange my bedroom frequently, and even went to work on our living room now and again as well. I had a dollhouse that I think I redecorated far beyond the age that was appropriate to still be playing with a dollhouse. Um, yeah, in fact, when I go back to Texas I usually have to rearrange my old dollhouse furniture all over again. A bit of a freakish-habit of mine that I can't shake. I'm weird that way. And aside from all the cleaning and organizing, I'm also in the mood for something fresh after taking down the holiday decor. The house feels empty and dark. Ho hum. What's a girl to do?? Scour my favorite decorating blogs for a little inspiration! And honestly, every one of my favorite blogs (see to the right for my very faves) are all about cleaning and de-cluttering. I'm beyond inspired by them, and thus, I got down to work over the past few days getting our home freshened up a bit.

A new vignette in the living room

I made these oversized vintage dominoes, now in our basement game room area -- I was beyond inspired by these gals: Shanty2Chic

framed record albums - these belonged to my mom, my dad and my Granny. I told my sisters on my last visit home that they were mine and they couldn't claim them. They looked at me like I was crazy and said "ok, sure, whatever Amy..." Bet they're jealous of them now! ;-)

Fake fruit in the newly rearranged living room -- is fake fruit ok or a decorating no-no?? I dunno, I just like 'em.

Living room, rearranged. I likey!
And finally - I don't like our family room mantel. This is what it looks like right now. It is huge and vast and has 3 large windows that make hanging a typical mantel mirror or oversized art piece impossible.

2 comments:

Beki said...

Alright, but be honest. For how long after you set the fruit there did it stay without Holden grabbing it and pretending to eat it? (No? That's just in my house??)

Tales from the Crib said...

Ha ha! Actuall the boys rarely go in this room -- no toys! ha! So thus far they have not discovered my arrangement here...yet...