Sunday, February 07, 2010

Do You Shadow Box?


Shawn bought me this sweet little shadow box a few years ago. I filled it with mementos from our wedding that were previously tossed in a memory box. Our wedding invitation - designed, printed and assembled by us. Wildflower seed packets given out as gifts to our guests - also put together by us. My something old - a pearl pin that was my sweet Granny's (also borrowed by my little sister when she got married a few years later). My something blue and new- a handkerchief with our wedding date embroidered on it (and slightly tear stained). The borrowed, pearls from Ruth, were returned after the wedding of course. Oh, and a few of the roses from my bouquet. A beautiful day that we get to relive daily now that it is shadowboxed, hanging in our hallway. I'd much rather display these treasures; see them every day and let the smile spread across my face. My boys even ask about it and I explain the significance of the day to them. They want to know why they weren't there. You were boys, in a way, because our wedding signified our commitment to each other and our future together, and to the two sweet little boys who would one day fill it. Do you have some sweet memories that could be shadowboxed?

And while we're at it, how come in this day and age marriage equality is still an issue?? Shouldn't all people be able to marry whomever they love? Blows my mind that this is an issue at all, and that so many people are against this ideal. Whatever happened to equality for all people?? This country was built on freedom, and yet we refuse this human right to millions of individuals... sorry for my tangent, but this is one thing I just do not understand, and talking of my own wedding just reminds me that there were beautiful friends who attended my wedding, who cannot marry at all....

2 comments:

Clover said...

Beautiful! And also, YES, YES, YES!!!

Tales from the Crib said...

amen!