Thursday, February 25, 2010

Sleepoever

Nearing the age of six must be the age when all children decide they are ready for their first sleepover. In this week alone three separate friends have suggested organizing a sleepover for our Kindergarteners. Seems the time is upon me to make this a reality. So today Jackson was invited to his friend Lanae's birthday party. Have I mentioned this budding friendship? Oh yes, I did, in this post. These two are peas and carrots. Lanae lives about a minute's drive from our house. She and Jackson pretty much have at least one play date a week. The never seem to argue. They just play for hours at a time, and enjoy each other's company. I love that. I so have to get a picture of her going 'cause her sweet, brown curls just make my heart turn to butter...

Anyway, so Lanae's birthday is coming up next weekend. Her parents are taking a few of her closest friends to Mr. Biggs- a sort of "Dave and Busters" type place from what I can tell. I've never been. And Lanae's mom suggested that maybe Jackson would like to spend the night that night, too. Oh boy. Here we go. His first sleepover! I told her I would talk to him about it to make sure he was ok with it, but I was sure he would be since he's been bugging me about having a sleepover for about 3 months now. And the good thing is that they live so close to us, should he get all freaked out about falling asleep at a different house we can just pick him up.

So today when I picked J up at school I was excited to tell him about these plans. He informed me that he was well aware of Lanae's birthday party and of course he was going to it. Okkkk... So then I asked if he would like to spend the night at her house that night, too. His response? "Well of course I would - we've been planning this sleepover for like 6 or 8 playdates!" Okkkk... I guess he told me. I don't like it when he's a little smarty-britches like that, but I DO like it when he is confident and assured. So I let the smarty-pants tone slide and enjoyed his excitement about his upcoming sleepover...

2 comments:

Clover said...

We have definately hit the age of the sleepover. I had one here a few weeks ago because I figured it was best to have it on my terms. It was fun!

The boy/girl thing hasn't come up though. Hmmm. I mean, not that they are even thinking like that. But then at what point do you nix the boy/girl sleepover?

Tales from the Crib said...

I know, I admit I did think of that. I think we have another year or two before I need to stress it.

His little friend comes from a large family (9 kids total) so I know that her parents can handle just about any situation that comes up, too.