Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Suckers.

Holden: Mommy, why do they call it a liquor store? Because they give you suckers to lick?

Me: Yes Holden that is exactly why they call it that.


**And as a side note: Keep in mind my Dad's family owned and operated a Wine and Spirits Store - aka liquor store - for over 40 years until they sold it about 10 years ago. I was practically raised crawling around that store. Well, not literally, but I have good memories going in and getting to pick out a moon pie and a coke all for myself. I can't walk into a liquor store today without being overwhelmed with nostalgia. Did you know liquor stores have a very distinct smell? They do. Like cardboard, overripe fruit and airfreshner. I actually quite like it. I know to some taking a child into a liquor store seems crass but I don't feel that way at all. My family's store supported several extended families within our clan. It was very much a part of what fulfilled my Grandfather's "American Dream" when they immigrated to America in the 1950's. I don't have any taboo type feelings about liquor stores, especially those that take great pride in what they serve, the good wines they carry, and the education that they provide about wines. That was our family store was all about. But I don't recall if they gave out suckers.

4 comments:

jimbroome said...

Amy, we gave out bubble gum......remember?

Tales from the Crib said...

I don't! I just remember moon pies and cokes-- the privileges of being a part of the family ;-)

The Stevens Family said...

I remember getting a few pieces of bubble gum at Crossed Keys. :) I have always loved the smell too.

Tales from the Crib said...

I love that you remember getting gum there Lisa!