Sunday, April 11, 2010

Putting Myself Out There

Prior to being a full time mama (going on 5 years now) I worked full time in "corporate America" for over 8 years. Not a lifetime, to be certain, but enough time to work my way up from lowly receptionist to slightly-less-lowly-marketing manager. It was a good 8 years that treated me very well, and gave me a wealth of experience and knowledge. That experience has had very little part in my past five years of raising our two boys. But as I've made my way from full time mama to full-time-mama-part-time-photographer, I've started pulling from those previous experiences more and more. Time management. Budgeting. Marketing. Selling (the toughest one for me thus far). But the hardest part of all is putting myself out there. Exposed. Excited. Empowered. I never ever pictured myself starting my own business, even a wee one such as this one. But here it is, and I'm out there, hoping for success, doing all I can to make it a success. More so than I probably ever did when I worked for someone else (sorry IBM & Real).
Lately I can't even seem to turn my brain off. I'm thinking and thinking and planning and designing and thinking some more. I have a lot of work ahead of me. But I'm ready for it and excited about it. And most important of all I have a very supportive spouse who cheers me on, and is the major (ok the only) financial backer of my business as well. He's the whole reason I found my passion for photography. I asked him for a nice camera for Christmas, and it snowballed from there. So no matter how exposed, excited and empowered I feel, it is never just me in this. It's me and my sweets, and our two mini-sweeties as well. With that kind of backing, how can I fail?!

6 comments:

Kristen Duke Photography said...

I am also a full-time-mama-part-time-photographer who can't turn her brain off...and Castle Rock is a beautiful place, just drove through there a few weeks ago.

Tales from the Crib said...

Hi Kristen -thanks for stopping by the blog!

mindyrn said...

If you are ever in Lubb for an extended visit, i want to hire you to snap my boys...seriously!

Tales from the Crib said...

I'd LOVE to Min! I'll be there this summer and will give you a heads up!

Beth Kozan said...

Amy, your blog and your website are such fun to read. Here's a link to a short movie that Heather sent me. It's about business start-ups, but it's really about following your dream. That's why I think you're a success already!
http://www.hulu.com/watch/120840/lemonade

Beth Kozan (Susie's BFF)

Tales from the Crib said...

Ah, thank you Beth! I'll take a look at the link!