Sunday, May 02, 2010

A bit more on NYC...

One of the best feelings in the world is to be able to see old friends, friends you may not have seen in 7 or 8 years, and still be able to fall into old laughter -- and new laughter. Remembering wonderfully funny old stories, and creating new memories and new stories.

On Saturday night Shawn and I headed up to Brooklyn to visit my friend Ruth's new bar - The Counting Room. There she was when we walked up - Ruth that I've known since I was 19 years old. Ruth who threw the best parties in college. Ruth who I traveled the world with, and shared the tiniest flat in all of London with. And now she owns a bar - a gorgeous bar - in the most amazing city in the world. I couldn't be prouder of her and her amazing accomplishments. Oh, did I mention she also teaches yoga 3 days a week? She's the ultimate dream follower -- and dream achiever.

And not long into the evening my dear friend Adam, and his boyfriend Jeff, joined us. In college Adam and I were joined at the hip. He was my closest friend and confidant. My BFF at TTU. Obviously time, years and life change our friendships, but as soon as he showed up we were laughing and making jokes and telling old stories. It was as if the last 7 years since I saw him were mere weeks rather than years. And yet he too has changed. He's stronger. He's grown in so many ways. He too has found his life's path. (yo, Adam, figure out your damn font and get your cake website going!!) He's happy. And that is what it is all about.

As for the rest of our trip, our time in NYC was brief but amazing. We needed to get away. Have some time to ourselves. We saw so much while we were there, and enjoyed great food and great shows -- despite, yes, a bout of food poisoning for yours truly) I actually ended up at my first Broadway show in 13 years wearing Crocs ballet slippers because I was almost too ill to even make it to the show at all. Once I gathered my courage to go, pulling on my sassy-mama, sleek black boots seemed out of the question. I went in Crocs. And I didn't care. "Wicked" was ah-mazing! And no one cared that I wore Crocs.

And while we're at it, Shawn and I were mere blocks from the recent Times Square bomb scare when it went down. We were dining at Oceana in Times Square, and elegant, upscale seafood restaurant that was high on our list of must-do's in NYC. Our meal was divine, and though we saw the police cars and such, we thought that there was an event or something going on! Silly us. Shortly thereafter we took the train to Brooklyn and didn't find out about the bomb until around 1am when we got back to our hotel and saw the news. I'd say we were a bit freaked out, but made no changes to our following days' plans -- a little shopping and taking in another Broadway show - "Billy Elliott." The NYPD was definitely ramped up, and we saw a trail of about 2 dozen police cars streaming past us that afternoon for reasons we never found out, but life continued on, hustled and bustled as always in that never-sleeps city. A surreal, freaky experience to be there in the midst of it all, and something that definitely gave us pause.

We were glad to be home last night, safe and sound, giving kisses and hugs to our two sweet boys. We missed them most of all.

Pictures to come. Promise!

No comments: