Saturday, May 29, 2010

The Camp Out

What can I say about camping with 24 Kindergartners??  Exhaustion.  Exhilaration.  Excitement.  All the "E's" are in order for this one.  Plus a big fat AWESOME!  It truly was.  I was beyond impressed and proud of these 5 & 6 year old kiddos.  No one complained.  No one whined.  Only a few tears for mommies - and none of those tears at bedtime.  There was hiking and journaling and bug hunting and scat hunting and tire swinging and camp songs and camp fire and laughing and giggling and running and jumping and team building and coffee (for the chaperones) and great food (that I didn't have to prepare or clean up!!) and resilience and strength and the happiest darn Kindergartners you ever did see.  And did I mention I was chaperone for 6 giggly little girls??  yup.  Girls are loud.  And sweet. And sensitive. And giggly. And strong.  And giggly.  It was a true "pink fix" for me.  But I also got to observe my sweet boy near and from afar.  I saw a side of him I so rarely see.  He was so independent.  I loved seeing him with his friends, being strong and confident.  And his chaperones gave me the greatest of gifts - they told me how awesome he did in his cabin, and how he followed the rules to a T, and was helpful and kind and quiet (quiet????!!).  I think I teared up when they told me this.  Yup, I did.  Super proud of him.

And as for me, I honestly truly loved the experience.  I was definitely wiped out by the end (as were all the chaperones), but it was that happy kind of exhaustion that I'll take any day.  I'm so glad I got the opportunity to be a part of this special experience for my boy, and all his pals.  I love his school.  His teacher is beyond exceptional (did I mention she slept on the deck of the cabin so that the chaperones could have access to her should they need to, in the middle of the night??).  And my boy, well, he's 4 days away from being a first grader, and this experience definitely elevates him to this new status!  First grade here we come!!

No comments: