Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Coffee Cubes

I love coffee.  LOVE.  Love. love.  I have a caffeine addiction, I can admit it.  I also love diet coke and have given up giving it up because it makes me happy.  One day when I don't have little boys in my house who wake up at 6:30 AM every single morning of their lves, then maybe I'll look at giving up my diet coke.  But I won't give up my coffee.  Ever.  Well never say never, but I don't foresee if going anywhere soon.

So on a hot summer's day nothing is more yummy than an icy, creamy cold iced-coffee.  But my budget doesn't really allow for a daily stop at the 'buck (Starbucks for those of you not onto my lingo), and iced coffee made at home is not strong enough and far too watery for my tastes... so what's a girl to do?? Well  I have found the solution.  Coffee cubes!  OK, so I'm not the first person to come up with this, but I'm gonna shout it out from my blog in case someone out there can benefit from my wisdom (and I think I should submit the idea to Starbucks development team).

Here's the scoop.  I took a 6 pack popsicle mold - the kind you get for your kids for $1 at Target or wherever.  I ditched the handles (ok, they were lost anyway).  With the day's un-drunk coffee I fill up the popsicle molds.  Pop 'em in the freezer.  The next morning, after I've had a small cup of hot coffee (to get the juices flowing), I'm ready for iced. I pop out 3-4 of the coffee popsicle cubes and put them into Shawn's my reusable Starbucks insulated cup, pour hot coffee over the ice, and add splash of non-fat vanilla creamer.  Yes, some of the cubes melt, but it is coffee into coffee, so it stays strong, not watery, and the cubes are so solid that they don't completely melt away.  The drink is fresh, strong, creamy, icy and gooooood.  And practically free.   Whatever coffee is left in the pot goes back into the empty popsicle mold and we start all over tomorrow.  As Martha would say, it's a good thing!

2 comments:

Ali said...

that's freakin' brilliant.

Tales from the Crib said...

I know, its a gift.