Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Lemonade! Lemonade!


Saturday was the annual community garage sale in our 'hood.  100's of houses put all their unnecessaries out on their driveways and tried to clean house.  The boys wanted to have a lemonade stand, similar to one we held a few years back in our old house.  Problem is, our last house was on a pretty busy street with lots of drive-by traffic.  Our current house is at the end of a double cul-de-sac.  We're not talking maja' traffic by any stretch of the imagination.  But I figured there would be a few folks wandering around the various garage sales so I allowed it.  We (I) made signs.  We (I) made cookies.  We (I) made the lemonade.  Everything was set.  I even put out a few baby-items that didn't sell in our last sale, last minute.  

Jackson woke me at 6:30 am ready to set up his shop. I made him wait until 7am.  And there he sat from 7am to noon selling his wares.  Sometimes he was impatient, and threw down his sign in frustration if someone opted not to stop. But mostly he was a cheerful, tidy salesman with a darling smile.  It was a good lesson in capitalism, and with his earnings he bought a new Star Wars lego set.  He's wanted it for a long time (about a week) and he earned the money himself and was proud of his purchase.  Holden "helped" with the stand as well and he purchased Pez with his earnings.  Yes, Pez.   Jackson and I also made a quick tour of the nearby sales and he snagged an entire grocery bag of various lego pieces for $3.  SCORE!  

As for my stuff that I put out last minute, I sold a toy lawn mower for $1.75.  Yeah baby.  I bought Sonic happy hour drinks with my earnings.  Capitalism in deed.

3 comments:

ECHeasley said...

do you have your child handing our crib tales propaganda?

Tales from the Crib said...

ha ha ha!! you busted me! I'm always thinking...

Debbie said...

I noticed that photography advertising myself. Haha! As I read your post, and the selling lemondade on a colasac, I thought of Ryan trying to sell lemonade at the front door of his house. When Gwen suggested he move a little closer to the street he wanted to know what she would like him to do if cars came and he was in the street selling lemonade, fly up into the sky like superman. You know he was probably wearing those superman underoos.