Friday, July 02, 2010

July 4th, 2010

Wishing you a very happy and festive July 4th from tales from the crib!   We'll be bringing a little of my July 4th memories to this holiday - I got sparklers and snaps for the boys.  When I was a kid my Dad would take us 3 girls and probably our cousins, Ryan and Jordan, and a friend or two as well, out to our family liquor store (have I mention our family owned a liquor store in a dry county before??), which was just outside the city limits.  Dad would buy a boat-load of fireworks and then set them off for us kids to ohhh and awww over.  For several years I hid in the car as he was setting them off - I was sure we were gonna blow up or something.  But I didn't mind sitting in the car, drinking my coca-cola and eating a moon pie, watching the sky explode into color.  It was magical.  The sparklers and pops I got for the boys this year aren't even close to what Dad used to shoot off for us, but its a start.  Our town will have a big light show and we're sure to be able to see it from our house as we have in years past.  I hope the boys will find it as magical as I once did... or rather, still do.

My father was an immigrant to this country, and I could not be prouder to be a first generation American on his side. The American dream is alive and well, and I feel like I'm living it every day of my life. Blessing to you and yours!


No comments: