Yeah, I'm giving out a recipe today. Me. I consider myself a decent cook. Not a chef. But a decent cook. I've only really ruined one major meal in the almost 11 years Shawn and I have been together (that would have been the Christmas 2001 meal - sorry honey!). But our meals are fairly typical - pastas, chicken dishes, a few Mexican faves, etc. Well this past weekend were dining out after Elitches and I dunked one of Jackson's fries into my green chili sauce from my meal and I about died. It was HEAVEN! Seriously, so good. So I made up my own recipe that I served as a main course tonight. It was gooooood. By the way, potatoes get a bad rap. But they are good for you. I read that somewhere and I'm sticking to it. I didn't fry them, I oven roasted them. So they were yummy and healthy...now onto the make-shift recipe:
1. Cut up 4-5 medium sized russet potatoes into smallish chunks (don't bother peeling them, the skin is good)
2. Toss these cubes with a tablespoon of vegetable oil and 2 tablespoons (give or take) of olive oil. Salt and pepper to taste.
3. Lay cubes in a single layer on a lightly greased roasting pan (I used spray canola oil)
4. Bake in a 400 degree oven for an hour, tossing occasionally to brown
5. Open a jar of good green chili sauce - I got a yummy chunky kind from Sprouts - and heat in the microwave (yeah, my recipe involves a microwave, what of it?!?)
6. Put a serving of potatoes in a bowl (larger-ish bowl if this is a main dish like it was for me)
7. Top potatoes with green chili sauce and other toppings that you see fit - I used a small bit of grated cheese, chopped tomatoes, and a dollop of sour cream (light)
Eat. And then serve yourself another bowl full and eat again. It was soooooo good. And bonus, no meat, so a cheaper option as well! I mean, come on, potatoes are cheap! Jackson ate the potatoes just with cheese and a side of tomatoes. I'm good with that. Holden ate a carrot. But he doesn't ever eat, so I'm also coming to grips with that, too.