Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Green Chili Potatoes

Yeah, I'm giving out a recipe today.  Me.  I consider myself a decent cook.  Not a chef.  But a decent cook.  I've only really ruined one major meal in the almost 11 years Shawn and I have been together (that would have been the Christmas 2001 meal - sorry honey!).  But our meals are fairly typical - pastas, chicken dishes, a few Mexican faves, etc.  Well this past weekend were dining out after Elitches and I dunked one of Jackson's fries into my green chili sauce from my meal and I about died.  It was HEAVEN!  Seriously, so good.  So I made up my own recipe that I served as a main course tonight.  It was gooooood.  By the way, potatoes get a bad rap.  But they are good for you.  I read that somewhere and I'm sticking to it.  I didn't fry them, I oven roasted them.  So they were yummy and healthy...now onto the make-shift recipe:

1. Cut up 4-5 medium sized russet potatoes into smallish chunks (don't bother peeling them, the skin is good)
2. Toss these cubes with a tablespoon of vegetable oil and 2 tablespoons (give or take) of olive oil.  Salt and pepper to taste.
3. Lay cubes in a single layer on a lightly greased roasting pan (I used spray canola oil)
4. Bake in a 400 degree oven for an hour, tossing occasionally to brown
5. Open a jar of good green chili sauce - I got a yummy chunky kind from Sprouts - and heat in the microwave (yeah, my recipe involves a microwave, what of it?!?)
6.  Put a serving of potatoes in a bowl (larger-ish bowl if this is a main dish like it was for me)
7. Top potatoes with green chili sauce and other toppings that you see fit  - I used a small bit of grated cheese, chopped tomatoes, and a dollop of sour cream (light)

Eat.  And then serve yourself another bowl full and eat again.  It was soooooo good.  And bonus, no meat, so a cheaper option as well!  I mean, come on, potatoes are cheap!  Jackson ate the potatoes just with cheese and a side of tomatoes.  I'm good with that.  Holden ate a carrot.  But he doesn't ever eat, so I'm also coming to grips with that, too.

Your welcome.

No comments: