Thursday, December 30, 2010

What can I say about Christmas 2010?  It was magical and relaxing and joyful -- all the things it is supposed to be.  The boys were so well behaved and we enjoyed a first time Christmas with my mother-in-law as well.  That was a special treat for us and the boys.  She made the Christmas eve dinner - Chinese food.  She brought a trunkload of gifts for the boys and spoiled us all rotten.  She gave Shawn and I not 1 but 2 nights out on our own - we relished that.  She and I even snuck (sneaked??) out for a matinee one afternoon.  Oh, and on Christmas day everyone napped - how awesome is that?!?  It was just about perfect.  

But I would be remiss not to share the early morning Christmas day wake-up.  Shawn and I awoke to the ripping of paper. Christmas paper.  The boys had tiptoed downstairs and plunged into their Santa gifts before we were even awake!  Worse, actually, Jackson had snuck (sneaked??) downstairs even earlier, grabbed his overflowing stocking and brightly wrapped package from Santa and went back to his bedroom and opened the gift, stashing the paper and box in the trash so no one would know he'd done so (yeah, right).  Then he proceeded to wake his brother and encourage him to do the same.  Thus the tearing paper Shawn and I heard downstairs.  Immediately I calmly proclaimed (OK, I yelled) WHAT ARE YOU DOING!??!?!  And immediately Holden froze and Jackson started to cry.  He knew he was busted.  He knew he wasn't supposed to be opening presents without us being there.  On Christmas eve I'd told him that when he woke up he could look through his stocking when he woke up but he had to wait to open gifts.  He didn't wait.  And there he was with his much desired DSi hand held game and I was left to imagine the joy on his face when he opened it, alone in his room.  The one gift I couldn't wait to see him open.  And now, a few days removed, we tell the story and can't help but laugh.  It will live on in the years to come as the Christmas Jackson opened his gift without permission.  And me thinks he won't try it again next year.  At least I hope he won't. 

And now for some pictures of the festivities...







1 comment:

Kay (carsonsmommy) said...

Amy -- loved the story about the boys opening up their presents before you were awake. My DH has a similar story about when he was a kid, and he and his sister got up and opened all the gifts -- not just their own -- before their parents woke up.

Apparently my DH woke up their mom afterward and said, "Mom, we had Christmas!" She and my FIL then walked into the room where the tree was, only to see every last present opened. Not sure if my MIL cried or yelled, or maybe a bit of both. But at some point after that, it became a story that everyone loved to tell.

Lucky for us, Evan and Noah ran into our room and woke us up saying, "Santa was here!" so we could open the presents with them. Happy new year!