Saturday, March 12, 2011

365 - 3/12/11

Today was Jackson's first Karate tournament. I don't have a picture to post.  We have video, which will come, but need to get it from Shawn.  But I had to post about it.  Awesomeness!!  I had such Mama-Bear pride going on.  He was nervous all morning long, and told us he didn't want to go.  We got to the tournament and the tears started as soon as we were registered.  His nerves were getting the better of him and I flashed back to my first high school play performance.  I know those nerves.  But I also knew once he was in the moment his love of the sport would shine through.  He really has grown to love Karate, and I see it as a great sport for him to put his attention and focus to.  I was proud of him for competing as only a white belt - his Sensei encouraged it.

So the tears eventually dried and he started to do some practicing.  When time came for the meet to begin he seemed so small to me, compared to those with more experience. But he had his game face on and was ready to go.  He did his Kata beautifully and even won his first round!  I think the pride was leaping out of my skin.  When the tournament was over he was full of pride in himself as well, even if he didn't medal.  He faced a fear and over came it.  He performed solo in front of a room full of judges and parents and competitors.  He was confident and proud and that was all that mattered.  He was a true little man today - I can't wait to see how he continues to grow.

No comments: