Thursday, May 19, 2011

Wind Down

We're winding down the school year for both boys in the next couple of weeks.  One more week of preschool for little man H, and 2.5 more weeks for J-man.  Crazy to think -- I guess all Mamas say that - but seriously, weren't they just babies?!  I ran into a friend  from my old 'hood yesterday who moved about a year ago and she saw Holden and was astounded.  She still pictures him in his baby sling!  Honestly, so do I.  And yet he keeps talking about going to Pre-Kindergarten (at the same school he's currently at, so not a huge difference, but let's be clear - I get one more morning a week of free-time...and let's be clear again, by free-time I mean "catch up on stuff" time.)  He is suddenly starting to spell and read.  I still think of him so much as a "baby" that I was stunned to hear that he could spell and read.  When did that happen?? Oh, and thank you Ms. Char for teaching him that because I wasn't as vigilant with reading to him as I was the first kiddo.  He's the softy of the two boys but he's starting to assert himself in ways that he never has before.  He's going to have to to keep up with that big brother of his...

And don't get my started on 2nd grade for Jackson.  Seriously!?!?  He's so grown up it slays me.  The other day he cleaned his room without me asking.  And that is HUGE because this kid is m.e.s.s.y.  He has so many teeny-tiny toys that clutter his room to no end. But he cleaned it up, by himself, without me asking/begging/pleading/threatening/crying.  He's moved on from his beloved Magic Treehouse books to Diary of a Wimpy Kid books.  Wha?!?  He told me last night's dinner (fish, tomatoes and risotto) was the best ever.   I almost don't recognize him.  He's lost all traces of baby-hood.  Not an ounce of fat on his skinny body - all muscle and skin.  He's ridiculously strong, and I fear for the day he knocks his brother into next week, literally.

Lots to do in the next few weeks - end of school picnics, hikes, parties, etc.  Then on to summer.  Grandpa is visiting from Buffalo for 2 weeks in June -- we're all so excited to see him; it's been too long.  Shawn and I are heading to Cabo in July to celebrate our 10 year anniversary.  CAN'T wait for that!  I'm anxious about leaving the boys but they'll have both of their doting grandmas on hand, and honestly, 5 days of solo time with my love sounds really really nice right about now.  We'll sprinkle our summer with trips to the pool, the zoo, museums, a Rockies game or 2, ice-cream, water balloon fights, and whatever else we can come up with.  It's gonna be a rocking time!

No comments: