Monday, June 06, 2011

First Day of Summer

Day one of summer, 2011.  Just about perfect.  We slept in (which is 8am in our house).  Hung out in our jammies until almost 10 then went to the grocery.  I sort of forgot how much more work it is to go with 2 rather than my usual 1.  Little man begged for gum about 56 minutes of the 62 minutes we were there.  At one point he was sitting in time out in the freezer section.  Big man just kept disappearing.  So it goes.  Luckily the store fed them - oranges, cheese samples and cookies -- sounds like a decent lunch to me.  Once were were home I started dinner in the crockpot and set up the slip in slide.  Seeing as how our backyard is d.e.a.d. due to an incredibly dry winter the boys did more mud-slide than water-slide but they had fun so that was all that counted.  After a hot bath everyone enjoyed "personal time" (my code word for "get the heck out of my hair for a hour and let's restore peace and solitude to our home."  It actually went over extremely well - I managed to get some work done and they managed to keep quiet in their rooms for an hour.  Score.

Just as we were leaving for Karate Daddy showed up with Grandpa who is visiting for 2 weeks from NY. We had quick hellos and then J-man and I headed out for some akata action.  He actually asked me to drop him off  and pick him up when he was done.  His way of showing some independence.  My way of sneaking in some solo time at my mecca - aka: Target.  Then home again home again for bbq chicken sandwiches and homemade potato salad.  The men-folk talked fishing and reels and I headed out to water the garden.  We have all kinds of goodies coming up - sunflowers, peas, lettuce, cucumbers, carrots, zucchini, strawberries, blackberries and tomatoes --  all from seed except the latter 3.  I'm jazzed to see it all blooming and can't wait to taste the yumminess!

Holden and Grandpa and Daddy read together while Jackson read to me from Diary of a Wimpy kid.  That kid is funny.  And then everyone went off to sleep, mostly without a hitch.  I indulged in sugar free ice-cream and an on-demand episode of What Not To Wear -- happiness.

3 comments:

The Mommy Therapy said...

Congratulaions on your first full day of summer. I usually approach this time of year with dread at being home alone with all three of mine, but I'm trying to have a better attitude this year.

I think the rest time/personal time is so key to a happy day so that's a huge victory to have as a success. I hope it continues all summer long for you!

Tales from the Crib said...

I definitely have been on the fence about how joyous it will be - on the one hand I'm so ready for a break from all the school running around and activities, but on the other hand, restless boys make for trouble!

I hope you have a great summer, too!

saiphyn said...

Hi there! I just found your blog and I'm excited to read about all the challenges I have to look forward to. I am married and have an almost two year old son, and we also have a roommate who is 21 going on 16. I've subscribed to your blog now and am really happy I found it!