Tuesday, June 14, 2011

My joy...

This has brought me immense joy this summer.  Tending my perennials in their 2nd summer.  They are fuller and more lovely than last year.  They are only 2 years old - this yard was a barren wasteland when we moved in.  But it has been a true joy to nurture and watch them grow.  I've lost a few, I can't take claim to being the greenest of thumbs.  But overall I'm thrilled with how well they have all flourished.  Many were drastically reduced plans purchased in the fall after their growing period - .50c for a shrub?! You betcha!  Or little buds from my friend Gidget's amazing garden (she has the true green thumb and has passed along not just her plants to me but her love of gardening, too).  I love seeing these guys bloom the most because they start so small and bloom so full.  This year also brought on our first Colorado veggie garden.  It too is flourishing! I can't wait to taste my first snap pea, or a salad made with fresh greens, ripe tomatoes, juicy cucumbers and crunchy carrots.  Fingers crossed that it continues to do well...



















...and just so I don't get too cocky...the grass is a mess and is being reseeded next week.  Can't win them all!


2 comments:

Adam Beckworth said...

so jealous. I would love to have a garden. home grown strawberries? what?!

Tales from the Crib said...

I'm seeing it now my friend - a little bakery in a cute old house with a garden in the back. Cakes made with fresh fruit fillings from your garden...